The State of the Fire Service - One Man's View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of the Fire Service - One Man's View

Just wanted to say that I agree with the majority of Mr. Carter's comments in this article. The one thing that bothers me, however, is the constant complaining about the inequities in funding for police versus fire. While I don't think any reasonable person will disagree that the inequity is there, the moaning and groaning about it is not doing anything to help. If we want better funding for the fire service, we need to do a better job of educating the taxpayers about the requirements and risks of our jobs, career or volunteer, and make them understand what we need to be safe and effective. We need to make them understand what they can expect when they call the fire department, given the current level of funding. That may be enough to shock many of them into quickly becoming very supportive of the needs of the fire service. Getting things changed is not going to be an easy job, but lets leave the police out of it and continue to focus on our needs and finding ways to get them funded.

------------------
    Mike Bagott
    Palouse Fire Dept.
    Palouse, WA

[This message has been edited by ffemtmjb (edited 12-08-2000).]

I give a lot of respect to Harry Carter. He is a mentor.
    If we are going to keep calling ourselves "brothers" we must start trying to really treat each other that way. That "Golden Rule" thing.
    We might even show up and do some work once in a while. When was the last time you missed a truck and swept out that empty bay? Without being asked or told?
    Let me tell you something. It's good for your soul.
    When was the last time you helped that "brother" with the broom? Without being asked?
    That's even better for your soul.
    Did you ever think about why that operation became known as a "bucket brigade"? Teamwork.
    What makes a fraternal organization tick? In the most basic terms, brotherhood.
    Yes, brothers don't always agree. But they put their differences aside and work together.
    Our jobs will never become obsolete, and neither should our hearts and our deeds.
    Pull together. Grow together.
    That's progress.

Dump that damn ego. It's more trouble then it will ever be worth!

Comment

I am Mark Warnick, the one Harry mentioned in the article. I agree mostly with the article, but one thing that Dr. Carter forgot to mention when making the comparison between the police and fire are that the police have unified, the fire service has not. When we finally decide to get off our asses and unify, we will get a lot more of what is needed to survive as Fire Departments, and Firefighters. Too often we divide between paid and volunteer, we are all brothers, and we DO NEED TO STAND AS ONE.
      Without unity, it will be the same as in years passed.

Mark S. Warnick
      Helping Our Own
      Firefighter Helping Firefighter www.helpingourown.com
      "we gain strength through unification"
      [email protected]
      Phone # 573-292-4423

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola