Whats in it for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats in it for me?

You are right, most people who want to join do ask the same question. When I joined the Mystic Fire Department in 1972, there was a lot of social satisfaction, but our main goal was to fight fire and give something back to the town. Most volunteers in our department still live by the same ideals today. Although we live in an era where money drives everything,for the most part most of us still get satisfaction from performing our fire department duties to the best of our abilities while not looking for renumeration.

I would suggest going so far as to use the reality of the job as a recruitment tool - a campaign centered around the theme "Are You Up to the Challenge?" Sort of like the successful-for-decades Marine tag line, "We're looking for a few good men." The very challenging nature of the job, and the hard work and determination necessary to do it right, become the very enticements themselves to join!

It appeals to the risk-taker, the selfless servant, the competitor in all of us. And the added benefit is that you get people who come in with eyes open, knowing that they are in for some at times unpleasant work. When you get people like that, the social aspects become rewards for a job well done, not reasons in and of themselves to join the local volunteer fire company.

What do people think about this?

------------------
    Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X