Traditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditions

Your on target again Mr. Carter. Sometimes traditions stand in the way of progress. Other times their just out dated. illegal or tend to harm someone. I also live in an area that had a thanksgiving day football game between two local schools "Turkey Bowl" which was suddenly changed by school officials without asking anybody what they thought. The games were always a sell out but we live on anyhow. JHA

Very well written. You are right on target with the turnout gear issues. This hit home as we have experienced this same action within our department. Traditions are like change, we as firefighters can learn alot from both. We need the traditions before change can happen though. Also, I live in an area that has changed Thanksgiving Day rivalrys.

Comment

Traditions ground us, and give us a sense of our proud history. Traditions are certainly useful as a guide to future developments, but they need not and should not stand in the way of progress in the areas of firefighter safety / survival and the protection of lives and property.

When tradition becomes an impediment to either of these, we need to get real with ourselves, and let that particular tradition become a well-thought of, often talked about, fondly remembered, yet definitely gone, anachronism.

------------------
      Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X