Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Jalbritt,

Good comments, I like your five principals, and they seem reasonable. Leadership is like golf, baseball, or bowling in that there are so many factors which influence
    your effectiveness. Your comments are well received.

Thanks,
    Bob Miller

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Mr Carter: I read your last article it fits well with the bad bosses. Just a thought what I have gained after 35 years in the service. The five basic principles of being a good boss
    1. Focus on the situation, issue, or behavior, not the person.
    2. Maintain the selph-confidence and selph-esteem of others.
    3. Maintain constructive relationships.
    4. Take initiative to make things better
    5. Lead by example*

* Only if you follow the first four. In the 80s and 90s this was not encouraged because of so many bad bosses. Lead by example only gave them a reason for being bad.
    John H. Albritton Retired Fire chief, Sarasota County Florida

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Woodman,

I believe Harry Carter always says something worthwhile. Likewise, I believe his comments on "Dumb Bosses" were worthwhile. I was just hoping to learn something about how not to be a dumb boss as well.
    I guess the secrete is to minimize the time that you are a dumb boss and to be conscious of dumb boss behaviors so that you can avoid them.

Let's keep moving forward, yours in service,
    Bob Miller

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    To Bob,
    I took it as a good article but after reading
    your post I have to go bavk and re-read it
    since I am like I fall into all those areas
    and what chief doesn't

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Good comments Mr. Carter. Sadly most Bosses who understand the Dumb Bosses are retiring.

------------------

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic "Dumb Bosses: An Epidemic"

"Dumb Bosses: An Epidemic"

I normally enjoy your commentaries. They are always thought provoking and this subject was no exception. You see I'm one of those "Dumb Bosses." I can identify with each one of the dumb boss styles from time to time. I recognize them as weaknesses and would like to expunge them. However, they are sneaky little devils and they find their way back into my conciseness. So my disappointment with this commentary is that to little time was devoted to the solution or retraining. You see I also believe that people are really good, that I can be nice, trust people and provide a good and healthy work environment for all who work in our department. But, those pesky little dumb boss styles occasionally creep back in. Sometimes they are imposed by my subordinates and other times by my superiors or sometimes just circumstances awaken these monsters. So, I would appreciate your thoughts on suppressing the tendencies in us dumb bosses.

Regards,
    Bob Miller

------------------

[This message has been edited by R Miller (edited August 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by R Miller (edited August 30, 2000).]

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader