Lessons for Keokuk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons for Keokuk

I thought that Dr. Carter's latest commentary on the Air France crash and relating it to Keokuk was excellent, and I couldn't agree more. I also thought that the people of Keokuk should read it, so I sent an e-mail to the opinion page of Keokuk, with the link to Dr. Carter's editiorial. If anyone else cares to express their thoughts and opinions as well, the link is: http://www.keokuk.com/opinion.htm
    A copy of what I sent is attached below.

Just in case the Keokuk Town Council thinks that their shameful actions and shabby treatment of your three deceased firefighters
    and their families have been forgotten by the people of the fire service, think again; refer to the attached link for Dr. Harry Carter's
    latest commentary. We haven't forgotten; I hope the good citizens of Keokuk don't forget when these clowns come up for
    re-election, either. http://www.firehouse.com/carter/072900.html
    T. Jarvis
    Brookline, NH

I am a citizen of Iowa and can not express my outrage for the city of Keokuk's city goverment.....that is such a disgrace to the brothers who gave their lives and a slap in the face to the family members....To the Town of Keokuk stand up for yourself and make your self heard, make these politicians do the right thing! give me a break!

Comment

Once again, the City Council of Keokuk has no clue and insulted the memories of their fallen firefighters. They question the cost of maintaining a memorial...hell, the firefighters of Keokuk would take care of it, just like their Brothers in the Boston FD take care of the Vendome memorial and Kansas City FD takes care of the memorial to their brothers killed in the explosion back in the 1980's.

The Keokuk 3 will not be forgotten...it's just a shame that they cannot have their names memorialized in their own community but in Emmittsburg and Colorado Springs.

------------------
      We boldly go where no one else dares...
      take care and stay safe
      Lt. Gonzo

Comment

Dr. Carter makes me proud to be part of the same profession as he. It is wonderful that we as a service have such an intelligent mouthpiece speaking for us. Bravo Harry and keep up the good work!

------------------
        Remember - Safety is a way of Life!

Comment

Greetings. The officials in Keokuk have apparently shown a lack of sensitivity, humanity and gratitude not to mention their political naivete as well. That having been said, comparing that tragedy with the Air France disaster is a case of comparing apples and oranges.

Air France is a major corporation with an international presence. Air France faces competitive pressures from any number of large carriers-- both regional and trans-Atlantic. The City of Keokuk, on the other hand, is a municipality with far narrower and local concerns. While they both have budgetary constraints, their motivations are very different since a municipality is not a for-profit enterprise.

Air France officials are undoubtedly fearing a public relations disaster and the loss of market share. Taking a page from the well-publicized crisis management successes of Johnson and Johnson after the Tylenol poisonings, Air France officials are probably approaching this thinking that a) this is a tragedy, b) we have the financial resources to help get people through the short term and c) we will see what happens.
          Being on the up and up with the public is critical element of containing the damage and fallout from publicized events of this sort. This is entirely rational, especially since they are likely fearful that appearing loathsome would drive even more travellers away to competing air carriers which are eager to serve their markets.

Air France is also cognizant of the fact that it will be sued, and rightfully so, by survivors of the crash. Air France and its insurers already know that this event will cost in the tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars. Their paying out funds to cover funeral and short-term costs is an economically rational thing to do for a prudent business enterprise. That this will play in their favor in the long run is probably a hope of theirs.

In closing, it is difficult to compare the motivations of two organizations when one is in the for-profit and the other the public or not-for-profit sector. Different economic and political forces are at work and to gloss over those differences is neither accurate nor fair to the reader. Comparing the decision-makers in Keokuk with those in Air France is like comparing apples and oranges.

John
          Attorney and healthcare management consultant
          Former EMS provider

Comment

John, I can't argue with your logic. Of course Air France has corporate obligations and quick appropriate actions are in their financial interest. I suppose you could say of those on the Keokuk city council that quick appropriate actions on their part could have insured their political interest. The real point is Keokuk should be ashamed of their actions and any attempt to discredit them is worthwhile. Can you imagine, they will not even approve a memorial for those brave souls who perished while protecting their community. Yes, Air France and Keokuk are comparing apples and oranges in terms of motivation. But, Air France is doing the right thing and Keokuk never did. I for one don't care why you do the right thing. I only care that you try your best to do the right thing. Again Keokuk, never did, not last December or Last week. They just don't get it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X