No announcement yet.

Leadership and Other self-inflicted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leadership and Other self-inflicted...

Dr. Carter clearly expresses my sentiments about the poor leadership of many of our fire officers. He also ties his leadership comments in very nicely with the need for STANDARDS! I will have more to say about leadership in future bulletins, but will offer a short comment about standards now. After a structure fire,the usual comments about it being a "good fire" surface. To me, that usually means they had a heck of a time bringing it under control for one reason or another. This prompts me to ask: How do we (the fire department)know when we've done a good job on a particular fire? By which benchmarks or standards do we compare our actions? Do we even bother to compare our actions to our SOGs/SOPs? (If we have such governing documents.)I heard a Firefighter once say of a church fire... "through the judicious application of water, we made the fire last all night!" Leaders set the standards and set the examples.

------------------
    Doug

Leadership can be learned, I am a living example of that. What I have learned in my years of trial and error, is that the key to leadership is being a good listener. Communication is the key, but don't talk as much as you listen.Be attentive to the person or group you are communicating with. To many times, even in my own department the anwser for to many things is "because I said so". That does not get very far with me. Communication is a very good place to start, if you desire to be a leader.

Comment

Good for you! Leadership can and is learned by many people everyday, but as you point out, a person has to want to be a good leader and then do something constructive about it. Listening to others is essential. Knowing where one is headed is equally important. How can one lead others if the destination is cloudy?

I encourage aspiring leaders to read about great leaders from all walks of life; past and present. Business, political, social and military examples are plentiful. To paraphrase a current cliche', leadership is a neverending journey. Become a lifelong student of leadership, but remember, leadership is a means, not an end. Keep growing!

Comment

i am a great fan of mr carter .i have tried many of his ideas in my company. i defeated one of thoes fat guys with a white hat and a radio that didnt have a clue.i think that the key to efective leadership is consistancy. i use the same set of rules for everybody . everyone in my station is treated with respect and dignity.we have stopped acting like its an excluseve club and that you had better bow down to get in the door. and i could go on but mr carter does say it better . tha fact is that this different attitude works . from 8 guys active and maybe 25 on the books we have gone to 25 active and 44 on the books. and hers the best part nones quit in 18 months . we as fire service leaders have to remember that we do not run our own little kingdoms. we are first and foremost serverts to our companies our communities and our membership.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X