We've Always/We've Never...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've Always/We've Never...

Harry Carter is a very brillant and observant man. This kind of mindset of We've always done it this way or We've never done it this way is true to many fire departments across the country. In the fire service, you can't get into a mindset, ANY kind of mindset. With all the new technology coming out to aid in the safety and effectiveness of the fire service, you can't just brush off something new, whether it is a new technology or a new method of doing something just because you've never done it before. Firefighting will always be a dangerous job, and until the day comes around where lodd's are down in the single digit's (or better yet 0!) We should all be open to new ways of doing things. I'm not suggesting departments rewrite their whole SOP's but just be open. Also I'm not suggesting trying something you've never done before on a fireground or accident scene etc., new ways should be practiced in training evolutions, and if it is better than how you've been doing things before, it should be practiced until everyone is comfortable with it. That is after all what training is for anyways, Improving your department's effectiveness as a whole, isn't it????

------------------
    Aaron Neely
    Dyess AFB Fire Dept
    Abilene, TX

OK, so Dr. Carter might have tendencies towards stepping on the toes of those who are in power, and for having little patience for the sometimes necessary bootlicking that comes with being part of the 'administrative' mind-set...

HARRY CARTER IS A NEAR-GOD!!

I have been calling attention to his commentaries since before he was on-line, and now I'm not limited to just one a month. He has suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune like so many of others, one or two in each department across the country, and we are glad to discover we're not alone in our struggle.

Thanks to Harry, I have been able to release a little of the frustration that has built up from having to deal with this mindset, by realizing that I'm surely not alone, and that there is a whole network of people out there that are fed up with the status-quo. Lord knows what would happen to the fire service if we were ever able to unite and take charge. Hey- we might just improve it enough to put ourselves out of business.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X