Application Acceptance Procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where am I?

I'm in Lawrence County, The most southern point near Huntington,WV. Yea, I know where your At. Also Firenut find someone else to argue with, I simply answered this thread. Your intitled to your opinion. Have a nice day.

Comment

Not arguing, just stating my own viewpoint (by the way, I never called YOU illiterate).

And yes, we are both entitled to our own opinions!

Have a nice day yourself!!
      Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

At my department, all applications go to the membership committee. They are in charge of obtaining the background check and driving record and interviewing the potential member.

Then at our monthly business meetings they will tell a little about the member, and either offer a recommendation or not, and the members will usually vote based on the committees recommendation. In order to be voted on you have to have a majority vote of the members at the meeting.

Most people get on our department, usually the only ones that don't are ones that have anything on their background check.

Comment

Originally posted by bombera4life View Post
          At my department, all applications go to the membership committee. They are in charge of obtaining the background check and driving record and interviewing the potential member.

Then at our monthly business meetings they will tell a little about the member, and either offer a recommendation or not, and the members will usually vote based on the committees recommendation. In order to be voted on you have to have a majority vote of the members at the meeting.

Most people get on our department, usually the only ones that don't are ones that have anything on their background check.
          Hey bombera,
          I saw in the other forum that you were "bailing out". Just because some guys give you a hard time doesn't mean they are bad people. You need to stick around and listen to what they and others have to say. What they tell you may just save your hind end someday. Don't quit.
          J.J. Bichard, Chief
          Devola Vol. Fire Co.
          Marietta, Ohio

"A few, serving many"

Comment

Originally posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
            First of all......yes, I can read!!!!!!

Second....you said that the chiefs decision was NEVER appealed.

Third.....I have seen several departments where the chief (and only the chief) made all of the decisions. This propably means that he doesn't trust the other officers under him to make any input into HIS department.

And that......in a nutshell is the good ole boy system!!!!!

Any questions?????
            I have to say that i agree with the firenut on points 2-4 on this. I came from one department where I had been deputy chief for 3.5 years, but was basically moved back to firefighter because of two things. #1, I challenged the chief to not micromanage but to delegate his work to the two deputies (myself and another guy) #2 i was not part of the good ole boy system (the person who replaced me as deputy was best friends with the chief.

The other deputy didn't question the chiefs idea of wanting to control it all and he still has the position. Myself, I think all officers should have a say in it.

And to boot, my replacement has 1/9th the training and skills, but hey, he is best friends with the chief. so he deserved it more. *insert sarcasm here*

Chiefs should delegate and allow other members of their staff of officers to help make the process fair and just.

sorry for my rant.

JJ
            Jason.
            Career Paramedic/Volunteer Firefighter
            Saving Lives or Basements everyday.
            Member of the IACOJ

Goalies are the best btw :P

Comment

I think a Chief's officers should do some of the things a Chief does, however, I have a Lt. who is also our president. He has the belief that he should be privy to everything that goes on. He does not need to know that. The president is over finances and committees. An Lt. is a low ranking officer. Why should either position know everything a Chief says or does? He doesn't, is my answer to the question.I guarantee anyone here that a Lt. on their dept. isn't kept in the loop on every little thing that comes up. When I decided to promote a Captain, the Lt. was angry because he didnt have a say in it. Why would he? The captain is above him.
              J.J. Bichard, Chief
              Devola Vol. Fire Co.
              Marietta, Ohio

"A few, serving many"

Comment

I think the only "say" he wanted was to tell you to pick him instead of the other person.

Now with that said:
                A chief should not have to tell everyone what is going on in the department, but there should be no "secrets" in the department either. It is good for the members of your department to understand how choices are made. This will in turn build "their" leadership skills.

If there were two or more Lt.'s in line for a promotion, it would be good to know the reasoning behind your choice. I am not saying that the others had to agree with your reasoning, but in knowing it, it would help them prepare for the next promotion.

My people skills are not the best in the world, so I get into trouble on certain occasions because of something I have said or done. But as long as I open up to the other members and explain where I am coming from, the damage is minimal.

What I am trying to say is "a happy house is a more productive house". It may take a little more effort, but well worth it.
                Last edited by THEFIRENUT; 01-22-2007, 03:25 AM.
                Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

Our process is pretty thorough.
                  1. Meet with training officer ( face to face, or telephone)
                  2. Physical Agility Test
                  3. Background Check
                  4. Oral Interview Board (1 Chief or Asst., 1 Capt., 1 Lt or Engineer, 2 FF)

All accepted are probationary for up to 1 year. Periodic performance reviews during prob. period by Training Committee, Instructors and Officers.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X