Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SamuelFire
    replied
    At the dept. I recently retired from shift change is at 7:00 am and the driver checks the apparatus for things missing or broke. The Lt and FF check their airpacks and bunker gear.

Once that is done the engine bays and living quarters are swept, mopped and clean, every shift, no exceptions.

Leave a comment:

• BPFire1618
    replied
    For my volunteer dept. rig checks are done every Wednesday. Works pretty well IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• chfd158
    replied
    i say at the begining at of each tour that way you can get the supplies that you need. and if something breaks on or off acall take it out o service or let the mechanic determine if its broke dont be johnny fix it.

Leave a comment:

• FlyingKiwi
    replied
    Work starts. Makeum sure the gear you need is there and squared away.

Work Stops. Makeum sure it is right for the next shift.

Anything else is a failure on your part.

New or old.

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    Originally posted by carter302
    I have found that this shift seems to be positive.

07:00 20 minute briefing
    07:20 Trucks Checked by Assignment
    08:00 Breakfast
    08:30 Physical Training
    09:15 Hydrant Maintenance
    10:15 15 Minute Break
    10:30 Hydrant Maintenance
    12:00 Lunch
    13:00 Pre-Incident Planning
    15:00 15 Minute Break
    15:15 Apparatus Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Etc.)
    16:30 Reports, Additional Projects, Etc.
    17:00 Public Relations (Ball Games, Programs, Nursing Homes, Etc.)
    19:00 Meal Time
    20:00 Decompression
    22:00 Lights Out
    06:00 Prepare to brief incomming shift

Obviously call volume plays an important role in the schedule. Simply adjust accordingly.
    You can skip the two hours of decompression if you have someone fix the CO issues in the fire station.

Where's the brainwashing and reprogramming hour?

Leave a comment:

• carter302
    replied
    I have found that this shift seems to be positive.

07:00 20 minute briefing
    07:20 Trucks Checked by Assignment
    08:00 Breakfast
    08:30 Physical Training
    09:15 Hydrant Maintenance
    10:15 15 Minute Break
    10:30 Hydrant Maintenance
    12:00 Lunch
    13:00 Pre-Incident Planning
    15:00 15 Minute Break
    15:15 Apparatus Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Etc.)
    16:30 Reports, Additional Projects, Etc.
    17:00 Public Relations (Ball Games, Programs, Nursing Homes, Etc.)
    19:00 Meal Time
    20:00 Decompression
    22:00 Lights Out
    06:00 Prepare to brief incomming shift

Obviously call volume plays an important role in the schedule. Simply adjust accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    Originally posted by FFFRED
    I'm not understanding your question.

FTM-PTM
    I was making a typo joke. It failed. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    Originally posted by johnny46
    Is apprauts some kind of rescue tool?
    I'm not understanding your question.

FTM-PTM

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    Originally posted by FFFRED
    We are ready to ride a hour before the tour begins and you relieve a brother on the backstep and the junior man in responsible for checking the apprauts.
    Is apprauts some kind of rescue tool?

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    We are ready to ride a hour before the tour begins and you relieve a brother on the backstep and the junior man is responsible for checking the apprauts. Although usually most of the backstep helps.

Everyone though should always check their own mask even though it is checked by the guy on the rig.

After the tour begins the Chaffuer checks the fuel, lights and sees if the rig starts.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    I drive a truck.

On my check off list, it says to exercise the aerial first day, but I do it both days and I start my check when I become the driver. If that's prior to official relief, then the check begins then.

Equipment should be checked as soon as the firefighter takes a position on that apparatus.

A relay went out between my first day on and my second and the aerial didn't work. Stuff doesn't wait until after breakfast to quit working, so why should anyone wait until after breakfast to check it.

Lastly, every morning, I go to the guy I drive and I tell him what's up, what's broken, what's working. That's the final step on a proper check, in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1983
    replied
    Originally posted by fireman4949
    Every unit is checked in by the Driver/Operator and a FF immediately upon relieving the prior shift. The ALS equipment and narcotics are checked in immediately by the on-coming Paramedic

Kevin

Same here. We change at 0730, and the rigs are expected to be on the ramp running by 0735. The only exception is if a call comes in right at shift change in which case the check-out is completed as soon as we return to the house.

Breakfast comes after check-outs, not before.

Leave a comment:

• dday05
    replied
    We check the equipment where we're riding at on the truck first thing at shift change.

Leave a comment:

• 37truck
    replied
    Do we need to ask ourselves what our "job" is? When we took our oath as firefighters, didn't we give up our own comforts and needs for someone else's? Rig checks should be done immediately after roll call (or if your in a vol. dept. at the begining of drill) and should be done by everybody on the company. I trust the guys on the shift before mine, but...not that much. If they have a busy night they may forget to pass along something. We should never take anything for granted. If we put other "priorities" before the necessities of the response we are being irresponsilble to the public, opening ourselves up for negligence, and are being just plain lazy. I've actually seen engines get checked in the morning and not have a full water tank or full air cylinder on a mask because someone "forgot".

Just a few thoughts on rig checks:

*Should be done by all...put us all on the same page and promotes cohesivness
    *Don't glance, actually check each compartment
    *Be thorough...who knows whats taken OOS, is missing or is new
    *Helps us know exactly where every piece of equipment is stored...ever watch a probie (and sometimes a veteran) go through half the compartments searching for something?
    *We are professionals and deal in life or death situations, the rig supplies us with the necessary tools to do the job

I would bet our soliders would never go out on a patrol or into battle without making sure their weapons were loaded and all their equipment was in-place.

Leave a comment:

• SPFDRum
    replied
    Rig checks are completed right after the 0800 blows, takes about 20-30 minutes with a radio check done at 0804. At the same time a medic or sr. FF/emt on the engine/medic will do all the EMS checks. That FEO will also do the medic rig ops checks.
    For us at my house, weekday breakfast is usually on your own. But on weekends we make a big meal in the morning.
    When I go back sunday, I'll try to find an electronic check form.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X