WHEN to do rig checks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHEN to do rig checks?

Like most Departments, our shift day starts at 0700. We have a brief roll call to see who's here and make assignments, then the FFs are given an hour for breakfast. They don't start their vehicle checks until AFTER breakfast, or around 0800. In essence, they often wind up taking calls without having checked the rigs - a bad thing in my mind. I'd like to see the FFs do their checks FIRST as I've never understood why the first thing we do is take a break; however, tradition is everything and that's the way it's always been in my Dept. Since change is easier to bring about if you can show what others are doing, I'm asking what others do first - rig checks, eat, or something else?

We usually check them out first thing if call volume allows it. Also depends on what the off going crew reports. If they had a busy day, we make it first thing a priority. If they had a slow or easy day, than we check off when we can.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

Shift change is 0800 and 1700. Rig checks start immediately and are usually done within 15 to 20 minutes.
      -------------------
      "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
      -----------------------------------------------
      Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

We change shifts @ 1900 hrs. (That's a whole other issue!)

Every unit is checked in by the Driver/Operator and a FF immediately upon relieving the prior shift. The ALS equipment and narcotics are checked in immediately by the on-coming Paramedic .

All inspection/inventory documentation is logged and signed by the officer of that particular unit. The only exception to this being done as soon as the personnel swap has been made is to respond to a call.

Kevin
        Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
        IAFF Local 2339
        K of C 4th Degree
        "LEATHER FOREVER"
        Member I.A.C.O.J.
        http://www.tfdfire.com/
        "Fir na tine"

Comment

Shift change is done at 0700 hours. The driver for the day (drive one day, ride the jumpseat the next) does apparatus checks immediately, while the rest of the crew gets to have downtime & breakfast till 0800. Rig check usually takes about 15-20 minutes, so he/she can still get a little breakfast in before the "real" workday begins.
          Career Fire Captain
          Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

can any of you send me one of your truck check sheets to take a look at. just getting some info to make check sheets for our department. thanks

Comment

Rig checks are completed right after the 0800 blows, takes about 20-30 minutes with a radio check done at 0804. At the same time a medic or sr. FF/emt on the engine/medic will do all the EMS checks. That FEO will also do the medic rig ops checks.
              For us at my house, weekday breakfast is usually on your own. But on weekends we make a big meal in the morning.
              When I go back sunday, I'll try to find an electronic check form.
              My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
              "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
              George Mason
              Co-author of the Second Amendment
              during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
              Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Do we need to ask ourselves what our "job" is? When we took our oath as firefighters, didn't we give up our own comforts and needs for someone else's? Rig checks should be done immediately after roll call (or if your in a vol. dept. at the begining of drill) and should be done by everybody on the company. I trust the guys on the shift before mine, but...not that much. If they have a busy night they may forget to pass along something. We should never take anything for granted. If we put other "priorities" before the necessities of the response we are being irresponsilble to the public, opening ourselves up for negligence, and are being just plain lazy. I've actually seen engines get checked in the morning and not have a full water tank or full air cylinder on a mask because someone "forgot".

Just a few thoughts on rig checks:

*Should be done by all...put us all on the same page and promotes cohesivness
                *Don't glance, actually check each compartment
                *Be thorough...who knows whats taken OOS, is missing or is new
                *Helps us know exactly where every piece of equipment is stored...ever watch a probie (and sometimes a veteran) go through half the compartments searching for something?
                *We are professionals and deal in life or death situations, the rig supplies us with the necessary tools to do the job

I would bet our soliders would never go out on a patrol or into battle without making sure their weapons were loaded and all their equipment was in-place.

Comment

We check the equipment where we're riding at on the truck first thing at shift change.

Comment

Originally posted by fireman4949
                    Every unit is checked in by the Driver/Operator and a FF immediately upon relieving the prior shift. The ALS equipment and narcotics are checked in immediately by the on-coming Paramedic

Kevin

Same here. We change at 0730, and the rigs are expected to be on the ramp running by 0735. The only exception is if a call comes in right at shift change in which case the check-out is completed as soon as we return to the house.

Breakfast comes after check-outs, not before.
                    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
                    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
                    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

I drive a truck.

On my check off list, it says to exercise the aerial first day, but I do it both days and I start my check when I become the driver. If that's prior to official relief, then the check begins then.

Equipment should be checked as soon as the firefighter takes a position on that apparatus.

A relay went out between my first day on and my second and the aerial didn't work. Stuff doesn't wait until after breakfast to quit working, so why should anyone wait until after breakfast to check it.

Lastly, every morning, I go to the guy I drive and I tell him what's up, what's broken, what's working. That's the final step on a proper check, in my opinion.
                      Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

We are ready to ride a hour before the tour begins and you relieve a brother on the backstep and the junior man is responsible for checking the apprauts. Although usually most of the backstep helps.

Everyone though should always check their own mask even though it is checked by the guy on the rig.

After the tour begins the Chaffuer checks the fuel, lights and sees if the rig starts.

FTM-PTB
                        Last edited by FFFRED; 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FFFRED
                          We are ready to ride a hour before the tour begins and you relieve a brother on the backstep and the junior man in responsible for checking the apprauts.
                          Is apprauts some kind of rescue tool?

Comment

Originally posted by johnny46
                            Is apprauts some kind of rescue tool?
                            I'm not understanding your question.

FTM-PTM

Comment

Originally posted by FFFRED
                              I'm not understanding your question.

FTM-PTM
                              I was making a typo joke. It failed. Sorry.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X