Minimum requirements for FD's in Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum requirements for FD's in Ohio

My fire chief is a little thick headed (I think that's a requirement to be our chief) he heard somewhere a long time ago that there is a minimum number of members that a department must have on it's roster to be recognized by the state of Ohio. My question is, is this true and if so where can I find this in the laws? I ask because he can come up with some strange things and this seems like one of them. Our department needs to do some roster cleaning (don't ask). Anyway any input will help.

Stay Safe,
    Lt. James Woda

Look up the ORC at... http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/revisedcode/
    Look up the OAC at... http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oac/

Just search under "Fire" and read it all!

Good luck - I doubt there's anything in there about a minimum of members. I do believe there's a requirement for a local (meaning County or smaller governmental entity) Fire Marshall or Fire Chief to represent the Authority having Jurisdiction.

Comment

I don't pretend to know anything about your state requirements. I was told once several years ago by a representative of teh Texas Fire Marshals' Office that in Texas a department had to have a minimum of 20 members to be classified as a department. This rep claimed death benefits provided by the state of Texas could be with held if this requirement was not met. I never found this in any law, but it is worth the risk just to do some roster cleaning? If the dead beats on roll are not costing your department anything, why take the risk? You still have the same number of active members with or without them on roll. Be careful before cleaning roster.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X