Firefighter "screening"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighter "screening"

Well, another FF was recently arrested on arson charges. How do we prevent this? How does YOUR dept. screen it's applicants? Thanks!

Our Department is civil service, which means that to get on you have to take the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' Human Resources Division's Firefighters entrance exam and the physical agility test. Most if not all the communities require an applicant to have a complete physical and psychological exam prior to hiring.

------------------
    We boldly go where no one else dares...
    take care and stay safe
    Lt. Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Lieutenant Gonzo (edited August 13, 2000).]

Comment

Thanks Gonz... We are a vollie dept with less people joining today than several years back. We are always looking for ways to bring in new blood. There are other issues such as training and retention... but thats for another discussion.

Comment

We get a criminal history on each applicant and have been good in the last couple of years about checking not only the references the applicant gives us, but with past employers, other departments they may have worked for etc.

We also don't even give out an application until the person has been to 4 training sessions. We require them to sign an observer/rider waiver and see how they interact with the group, react to learning new things and team exercises. We do our best to get to know them and see how they work with the team as a whole.

We also have a one year probationary period where people can be booted "with or without cause". Basically that leaves us a loophole where we can get rid of someone that becomes a problem. We have only used it once or twice that I can remember.

Is this perfect? Not by any means. None of us is a psychiatrist - but we do the best we can and frankly I've been known to rely on gut instinct - and generally I've been right. I really dread the day I'm wrong, but quite frankly nothing is 100%.

Many years ago my department had a member that they found out had criminal habits in his regular job. There was no indication of it until he ended up in jail for quite a while.. luckily our vicitms/patients were not involved - but it can happen anywhere at any time. If anyone comes up with a solution, let the rest of us know!

------------------
        Susan Bednar
        Captain - Forsyth Rescue
        North Carolina Strike Force 1

Comment

There is a very good thread on the Firefighter forum that generated a very good response from an arson investigator. Check it out.

------------------
          Kevin Sink
          Fair Grove Fire Dept.
          Thomasville, NC USA
          [email protected]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse