Should He Run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should He Run?

I know this guy that would like to run for an engine lt. position. He is not sure as to whether or not he should run for that position. He has Fire 1, Fire 2, Hazardous Materials Operations, Basic Vehicle Rescue, Ladder Company and Engine Company Operations, Ropes and Riggings, Trench Rescue, and Structural Collaspe Operations Level 1. He is also currently taking Fire Department Company Officer (Officer 1, Officer 2 & Instructor 1).He has been in the fire service for 4 years. Should he run?

Sounds to me like he spent his four years in the classroom.
    Let's put the book knowledge aside and ask:
    1. Is he level headed under pressure?
    2. Does he pass on what he has learned effectivly?
    3. Can he overcome his lack of time with the "oldtimers"?
    4. Is he respected by his peers?
    5. Would you want him as your Lt?

Comment

Hey E229LT you forgot one question would you
      trust this guy in a burning building? Yes
      having bbok smarts is good but having some
      action under your belt means as much.I know that I was asked to be a lt after 4 years and
      turned it down knowing that I was not ready for it.

Comment

you forgot one question would you
        trust this guy in a burning building?

And the important corrollary...does he trust himself in a burning building?

Comment

This is an election after all so if he thinks he's ready then he should run. If the rest of the department thinks he's ready he'll get the job.

Alex C.

Comment

The elections aren't until January 2001. He has decided to wait until March of 2001 because of the current situation in that firehouse.

Comment

Fireman Ry; which dept.? Yours? (Not that it matters, though). Sounds like he may be ready for it (education-wise). FWIW about the "age thing". I'm 45, Lt., and I'm still resented by some of the 50-60 y/o ff's still doing the job, Oh well, LOL!

Comment

Ry,
                Ask yourself some of these questions. First let me say that by no means is my department any different, elections are a popularity contest and that is about it. We have a Rescue LT. with zero experience in a working fire-thank the lord that he is out of another house. But back to your fellow. Do you trust him when the heat is on? There is a significant difference between a room and contents training fire and a basement job in a balloon frame. I like to live by the old verbiage of being 'Technically and tactically smart'. Obviously technically is the book portion of it and the tactical portion is being able to apply your "book smarts" to the present situation. Another thing I like to ask prior to my vote being cast is, Can this man even command himself? McArthur (I think) once said, "No man is fit to command if they can not command themselves” I like to live by this, in fact I refused to cast a ballot for someone I thought would not suit the position. Finally what I also look at is, what does this member bring to the table, does he pass the information he has learned on to the rest of the brothers as the LT. from 229 Eng. said. Sorry about the manifesto, stay safe.

------------------
                'Those not fit to command themselves, are not fit to command another'

Comment

This guy was kind of put in a tough position in the last year. After the elections for the Year 2000, a clique pretty much left the department. This clique included a lot of experience, but caused a lot of problems for the officers. The reason for this clique leaving was that they were not happy with the change in leadership. This guy started in the fire service at the age of 16 with on of the more aggressive departments in the county. He was ridden hard to learn what he was taught. Over this past year, he has had to teach the newer guys what he has learned over his three years being in the fire service. Fortunately, from Nov. 99- Mar 2000, this department has seen a lot of work fire wise, so he has gotten experience on the fireground. For a while, this guy was in the middle as far as seniority goes. Now that this clique is gone, he is one of the more senior guys in a firehouse that has a ladder truck, rescue truck and an engine co responding out of it. He has gotten some officer experience, especially during the day when no line officers are around.This guy has the book smarts, but he also has experience to go along with it.

Comment

Sounds to me that you trust him. If that is the case and you have no problem jobbing with the guy that go for it, throw him your support.

------------------
                    'Those not fit to command themselves, are not fit to command another'

Comment

Sounds to me like you've answered your own question.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X