Smaller dept. more political problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller dept. more political problems

Is it just my misconception but why do smaller dept. seem to have more discord and disharmony than larger dept. Ive spent some time with the larger depts and found that they do not get into the freaken soap operas of each others lives. Is it that they don't have enough calls to keep them busy?
    What do ya think?

------------------
    Yours Truly,
    THE SNAKE MAN
    Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon relize the pig enjoys it.

AMEN to that brother. Also a lot more nitpickin about rules and looking for things to do. Suprised that no ones gone postal yet with the way some people harass others.
    Also heard the one about the pig and the fire inspectors before, got a few like it too!

[This message has been edited by WRENCH (edited May 29, 2000).]

Comment

Politics are more noticible in a smaller department because we tend to know each other a whole lot better. The game is the same everywhere...just change the names of the people involved and the name of the community! We sweat the small stuff and ignore the big problem. The FD is a lot like the Titanic...we worry over the arrangement of the deck chairs and ignore the fact that we are sinking!

------------------
      We boldly go where no one else dares...
      take care and stay safe
      Lt. Gonzo

Comment

Gonzo's right...the same crap goes on everywhere. In small departments, it's more personal. In a situation where only a few votes can swing a major policy decision or determine officer assignments, a few people's petty differences can have a big effect. At the same time, a few arguing parties can't turn to the larger body of "the membership" to mediate a dispute. In large organizations, the larger body listens to the sides and votes on policy, procedure and placements, making many conflicts more of a "sales and marketing" issue than a personal dispute and fostering a "ya win some, ya lose some" attitude. In small organizations, there may be no larger "membership" than those parties in dispute. As a result, disputes over generally non-personal issues become personal, mushroom into animosity, and show up as power plays and mind games. It's regrettable, but it happens just about everywhere from time to time.

Comment

ditto to that Bob!
          Besides smaller departments seem to have,generally speaking of course, lower call volume. This tends to lead people to gripe about evry little thing that happens. I know I do all the time. But then again my depatment is atypical, all the chief officers that are FF1 or FF2 tend to ignore the grunts who are all FO1 or FI1 or more with plenty of expierience. . . Hey wait I'm doing it again sombody smack me I'm complaining.

JEEZ! Maybe it's some sort of disease?

------------------
          Alex Capezza BS, FO1, EMT-I

Comment

I would agree with the general consensus that these problems exsist in the majority of departments and not just the small ones. I believe they are more prevalent in small departments because there is a greater opportunity to express individual opinions. As more and more firefighters increase their knowledge, the gap between old school and new school grows. The frustration caused by the differences in their beliefs leads to more disputes between the two. You probably will never be able to put an end to all of the politicing but rest assure that particpation will only make it worse.

------------------
            Training with spirit, serving with pride

Captain, Rufer

The above opinion is my own and should not be interpeted as the opinion of any organization in which I am affiliated with.

Comment

Think about it, the more time between working jobs make people antsy and just frustrated. I myself would rather train and not ever have to go on a call, but then again I prefer having a life outside the fire station.

It may also be in smaller dept. that some members want to be in control. This may have something to do with NOT HAVING A LIFE OUTSIDE THE FIRE STATION.

------------------
              The views and opinions expressed herin are my personal views and opinions and not those of any organization, department I may belong to or represent

Comment

I have noticed something interesting along these very lines. When I was in the USN, we had some PO1s and CPOs that couldn't wait for us to go on cruise. It appearred that they couldn't wait to get away from their families.

I have noticed that some volunteer firefighters do the same thing, basically live at the firehouse. Now with this in mind, one could suppose that the firehouse is their primary family, and I don't know about anyone else, but I always had trouble getting along with my siblings growing up. Part of being a kid I guess. Do you see where I'm going? Just my personal observation.

------------------
                Remember - Safety is a way of Life!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...