NO HELP ON STATION DETAIL
    Take out garbage.
    Keeping trucks clean and in order.
    Keeping station clean.
    Put hose's back on truck.
    Come to meeting's
    Come to Training meeting's
    (EVERYBODY COME'S TO CALL'S)
    Been doing it myself for the past 2 or 3 years.with a little help.
    Have ask kindly with no response.
    DO you come down hard and lose some firefighter's OR WHAT???????????????????????
    We do have some really good firefighters
    WE ARE VOLUNTEER The dept.has been kind of free lanceing for the past year or two
    The chief has been inactive for the past
    year. I was elected chief this year.

I am also in the volenteer fire system. The first thing I will advise you but you probably know is that freelancing is definately nonproductive and a very dangerous habit in the fire service especialy on emergency scenes. As far as getting things done around the station and equipment, I created duty crews and split up the membership into approxomately 5-7 person teams. Each duty crew is assigned and responsible for the cleanliness and performance of a piece if apparatus; its equipment; the bay in which it is parked; and also anouther part, portion, or romm of the station. Cleck lists are performed one a week be each duty crew and are verified by the officers as to their validity. Every so often the crews are rewarded weither it be with pizza's being bought by the department or by some other means. This has changed the looks of our department, the equipment is cleaner, all of the lights burn, and members know where the equipment is when you get on scene. Remember give them a goal to work toward and they will work harder, plus compition between crews to have a better looking unit and cleaner bay enhances unity.

Comment

Station Cleanup -- we rotate alphabetically down the roster, an officer & 5 members/month. Usually get together last sunday morning to wash the apparatus floors, vaccuum, etc.

Trucks -- Each truck has 2 "assigned drivers" who do weekly truck checks & cleaning. All drivers are expected to rinse off the truck if they take it off & gets dirty. Most everyone pitches in this time of year wax them up for Memorial day.

Comment

Sounds great I wiil give it a try.
        THANKS tc1chief

Dalmation 90--We did rotate but it got to where nobody would show up. what do you do if no one shows up. its not fair for 2or 3 to do all the work. will it void his or her membership.???????

Comment

Usually the Officer-in-Charge that month gives the crew a call a day or two before to "remind" them...and if they can't show up Sunday give them another job they can do alone...

If they don't show up we try a little social pressure by putting them on as a "repeater" on the list for a month or two. Yeah, we get some recalcitrants who just don't show up though!

Comment

I have a idea that may work for you and has worked in my department for sometime now.We keep a list of people who show up for what we call detail jobs,which are:truck cleaning house details and the such,when wthey show up and work we give them extra credit to bank to be used in case the miss an alarm and need to receive credit to get there full clothing alotment at the and of the year.Just a thought it works for me and it may work for you.But you are right it is hard yo get people to do the detail tpe items yet when a worker comes in the appear out of the wood work.
            Good luck

Tom

------------------

Comment

We have a daily/weekly list of chores depending days of the week and shift Day/Night. For a copy please email me and I will send you an attachment with the form on it.
              [email protected]

Comment

Lees Chief, You are faced with an age old problem. Having been around the fire service over 30 years in both volunteer and paid systems and management positions in both, I can tell you there are no surefire solutions. I suggest that you take care of and reward those that work with you and maybe some of the others will convert. All of them won't. Some people are just destined to be dead weights on our society.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X