Training Outlines for OSHA Record-keeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Outlines for OSHA Record-keeping

Our friendly OSHA inspector reviewed our station and records last week. While we are keeping accurate records of who attended and what the subject matter was, OSHA now wants an outline attached to the sign up log to show the subject matter of the training session, the NFPA subject covered, etc. Any recommendations on good sources for outlines and agendas?

Look at the following web site, they have many preformated forms you can use.
    www.safetyinfo.com

There is an OSHA form site there in noticed the other day.

Comment

There are a couple of things you can do to meet this requirement. I am working on a similar project now so it is rather fresh in my head.

1. Take a look at your State Approved curriculum from you area Training Academy. They are based on NFPA Standards, etc. Most students come home with copies of all of the outlines, etc. I would make the changes to them so they are tailored to your dept. and add them in. That should give you a bulk of the core training you need.
      2. Write some yourself using memories of previous drills and cleaning them up with references to the various standards out there pertaining to the subject you are training on.
      3. Check out some of the EMS/FD Book vendors. There are definitely some good ones. I just ordered "First Due Company Officer Drill Guide" from www.mosby.com.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Jim M.,
        Been there done that with inspectors popping new stuff on us. Are you sure it was OSHA, here in Maine we're regulated by the BLS?
        Anyway, we try to have a lesson plan for each class. One easy way is to look up your subject matter in the IFSTA manuals or ME FFI+II curriculum and reference the objectives you covered. The IFSTA objectives are nationally recognized and NFPA compliant, so it should satisfy any inspector.
        Having an outline before training is usaully best as it is a guide to teach by. Less war stories and freelancing when you have a plan and objectives to cover.

Whatever you do, do it safe!!

This post is solely my own opinion and is not intended to reflect that of of my department or Local.

Comment

This may sound a bit trite but it's not meant that way. If you are conducting training the instructor for the class should have made at the very least an outline of what it is he or she is teaching. Have the instructors attach copies of the information you need as part of a class syllibus to the attendance record. That will satisfy most OSHA inspectors.

------------------
          Alex Capezza BS, FO1, EMT-I

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...