Driver Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver Training

I was wanting to get input from other Departments about there driving programs and training.

[This message has been edited by Paul35 (edited July 16, 2000).]

Our Dept uses the NAPD schooling. I think the NAPD stands for North American Professional Drivers. Everyone goes through it as a refresher once a year and all new hires go through it before being allowed to drive. It's a prety good course and gets you up on better techniques. As far as promotions go, firefighters wanting to go for engnieer must complete a cadre book where they drive, operate and maintain the rig with another Engineer with them. Once they complete the cadre book they are on the Cadre to 'bump up' and fill in for an engineer. Good experience and skills for promotion exams.

Comment

Our Department policy is for all engineers to be EVOC certified (Emergency Vehicle Operations Course) which is a 16 hour classroom and practicle excercise tought by the Virginia Department of Fire Programs. Once a firefighter receives this training he or she must take a road course test drive with their choice of three diferent officers (Chief, Asst Chief, Captain, Lieutenants, or STO) who will score them and either approve them for emergency driving or will recomend more training in non-ememgency situations such as drills.

Stay safe
      Bill

Comment

You may want to check with your insurance carrier, we use ESIP and they come in a teach lecture and practical, I also believe that VFIS does this also.

Stay Safe

Whip

Comment

As whip stated we to use the ESIP program along with a driver training sheet, a age requirement and driver training on the road. The chauffeur also must know the apparatus inside and out. This includes all the equipment on the rig.

Jeff

Comment

If your state has VFIS insurance,they will be more than glad to assist you. They have an excellent program and even will send someone to certify your drivers.
            You may also enroll in a VFIS class to become a certified VFIS instructor so you may certify your drivers yourself.

If I can help please feel free to contact me

Comment

Here's the USAFR web page for their training certifications. They are 100% NFPA compliant.
              http://www.afrc.af.mil/hq/ce/fire/pages/tng.htm

Comment

What ever ya do......if your driver engineer has experience just let him drive the truck. I refer to it as the "shut up and let him drive protocol". The guys that have had a barage of training sometimes consintrate too much on being a good driver instead of just getting out there and driving. Can you over train a driver? I definetly think so.
                Just my opinion!

------------------
                Yours Truly,
                THE SNAKE MAN
                Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon relize the pig enjoys it.

Comment

Hey you can do what we do. . .
                  HERE'S THE KEYS. Don't Kill Any One!

Comment

Our department has VFIS and we are required to have every emergency apparatus driver certified in the 16 hr EVOC class. Once he/she has completed this training they then can begin drivers training. Training varies depending on the vehicle/apparatus, it ranges from 16 hours to 24 hours of non emergency over the road training, apparatus overview and a final exam once training hours have been completed. Once the indivdual has been certified on the apparatus, he/she is registered with the insurance carrier.

Firefighter 194

------------------
                    Never pet a burning dog!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse