No announcement yet.

To combo or not to combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the comments Heavy. Our call volume is increasing each year. 2012 brought in over 600 total, with 86% being EMS calls. 10 -12% of those work out to be ALS interventions.

While looking close at funding to take the mid watch load off of true volunteers i.e. the 0300hrs social medicine calls that come in on a tuesday, funding options are better with an ALS billing/ income ratio. That is, projections show a higher percentage of income per call with ALS billing where warranted, and can help fund the additional 12 manhours per day. Plenty of argument either way.

I can really justify a full time Chief's position, what with the amount of hours I put in each week. Again, a funding hump that takes finesse and time to get my council over, when they're used to 'the way it's been forever'.

But, I can say, it will be anothers challenge to get them a little further along. At the end of 2013, I will be retiring from the fire service. Still have to work at my 'regular' career, but I'll be handing the reigns to this organization over. After 25 years, plus two years of my Navy time, I'll take the state pension and put it on a bike payment.

The replacement will be chosen later this year, but I'm working to get a person that can take this and move it down the road some more. find some things I haven't done, and make it happen.

I have loved this avocation. Have seen, and been a part of some of the most profound moments in mine, and many others lives.

I'm sure I'll check in again before I call it a day.

P.S. I updated the dept. profile awhile back. Re-submiitted it. Thanks for the heads up.
    Find us on Facebook.
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.sigpic
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Comment

OK, my soapbox is at hand.... I am Chief of a small combination department. We train annually to NFPA driver/ operator specs. drill regularly on apparatus control, setup and operations.
      On March 15, 2012, I was driving a 4000 gallon tanker, automatic aid, to a working structure fire. Interior crews were operating, a truck co. had just been ordered to connect tank water to the operating engine. No water supply was on scene, or in the area. I was to be the first water in. Radio traffic was cranking up.
      While traveling on a four lane, with center turn lane highway, turning left onto a two lane county roadway, The tanker I was driving rolled over onto its right side. The top of the tank, AND CAB slammed into a tree that has probably been there for a hundred years. You can imagine my thoughts and words as I was going over, and immediately after the loudest crash I've ever heard in my life. I was wearing a lap belt, was able to self extricate, had minor injuries.
      The truck however, is currently being used as a training aid at a local department, and will likely be on display at a state fire conference later this year... I just keep smiling and preach my newest mission, to advocate "DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!"
      Many factors went into this accident. The truck had a GVWR of 50,000 lbs. I've weighed it loaded in the past at just under 57,000 lbs. It was a 'converted' truck, several years past to be put into its most recent use. However, there is not one piece of apparatus in my bays that I walk out of the duty office and it's lying on its side. They don't tip over standing still, I was going too fast!
      The sequence of events involved in the accident, prove on the state troopers report to be a little different than what I believed was happening at the time. That is, as I down shifted to make the turn, approx. 78 feet of skid marks were layed on the highway before entering the turn. As the turn evolved, skid marks were put down throughout the evolution.
      Bottom line, it happens real fast.
      I lived! Many others don't!
      I'm thankful I was alone, it didn't happen to anyone else, and that, thank goodness, no civilians were injured.
      Points to remember:
      *Train
      *Get away from using overweight, converted apparatus (Insist on NFPA/ DOT compliance)
      *Wear your seatbelts
      *Do whatever it takes, to take a breath, think clearly; don't let the adrenaline take over. i.e. Situational awareness.
      Its simple boys and girls.... this could happen to anyone under a stack of conditions, watch out.
      In perspective, the following Saturday was St. Patrick’s Day... I got to play catch with my grandson. Another foot to the right a few days before...It would have been my funeral day.

At the end of November this year, I’ll be retiring from this great avocation after 27 years of service. If anything, I’d like to leave a legacy of great concern for my Brothers and Sisters in the Fire service. If they can read this, and it keeps them safe in the future, It isn’t for naught.

Be Safe

Chief Frank S. Rizzio Jr.
      Pea Ridge Fire Department
      Pea Ridge Arkansas
      Chief Frank Rizzio
      Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Comment

One more Boys... 26 days until retirement. The budgets working, funding is up for the future. November 1 2013, we started 24/7 staffing! Same 2 person model we've been building but a good start 24 hours a day. The road is long.... Good Luck!
        Chief Frank Rizzio
        Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Comment

[QUOTE=FSRIZZIO;1389154]One more Boys... 26 days until retirement. The budgets working, funding is up for the future. November 1 2013, we started 24/7 staffing! Same 2 person model we've been building but a good start 24 hours a day. The road is long.... Good Luck!
          Chief Frank
          Chief Frank Rizzio
          Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Comment

Pinggggggg
            Chief Frank Rizzio
            Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Comment

Chief Frank Rizzio