Mixed Gender Sleeping Quarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Gender Sleeping Quarters

Does anyone know if there are any legal requirements for mixed gender sleeping quarters? Our resident volunteer fire district currently shares one large sleeping quarter and offers two individual restrooms. Do we need to offer separate sleeping quarters for men and women? If so, do partitions count as "separate" sleeping quarters. Thanks.

Sleeping quarters

We had partitions for a large dorm area....and everyone slept in shorts. Now we have separate rooms for females. There is no law that I know of....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

There is no law that I know of. We have large dorm style rooms in all of our stations. Some of them have portable or built in partitions between the bunks. The only rule we have is that you must sleep in shorts at night. Some stations do have seperate locker and bathrooms, but the ones that dont has locks on the door for seperate changing when needed.

Comment

We don't have any mixed gender members, just boys and girls.
        I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

We have one female working in our department and we have a communal bunk room - the rule is that everyone must be decent (shorts and a t-shirt atleast) at night, and there are locks on the doors to the locker room/showers.

I don't know of a law (way above my pay grade to know the answer to that one) but that is the way we have things work at our department.
          Brian Irey

My comments are mine and mine alone - they do not represent any thoughts or views of my department or anyone else

Comment

Our HQ station and Station 2 have individual dorm rooms. Station 3 has a communal bunk room with dividers.
            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by RID87 View Post
              Does anyone know if there are any legal requirements for mixed gender sleeping quarters? Our resident volunteer fire district currently shares one large sleeping quarter and offers two individual restrooms. Do we need to offer separate sleeping quarters for men and women? If so, do partitions count as "separate" sleeping quarters. Thanks.
              Asking questions like this here is only going to lead you to heartache in the form of 12,000 different answers. There is only one correct answer for you: "Consult your solicitor."
              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

All fire houses have the same bed area in the main bed hall.
                Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-08-2011, 02:52 PM.
                Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by JayDudley View Post
                  We had partitions for a large dorm area....and everyone slept in shorts. Now we have separate rooms for females. There is no law that I know of....
                  If you give the females seperate rooms and the males have to share a common dorm, you're technically opening yourself up to sexual discrimination charges.

You don't have to supply seperate facilities but you do have to be sure everyone's facilities are equal.
                  "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                  sigpic
                  The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

In my experience, it's the spouses (male and female) of the firefighters are the ones that complain abot mixed sleeping quarters the most.

Comment

The female firefighters here chose to keep sleeping in the common dorm area as opposed to being alone and not having others around while they slept. Has worked for over 20 years. They do get their own locker room areas though.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X