Fire Science Degree...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Science Degree...

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some input on getting an associates degree in fire science. I have been putting some thought into it. Does anybody have experience with a fire science degree? Does it give you more opportunities than just a bunch of certifications? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe brothers,

Matt
    "At one point we decided to fight fire with fire, basically your house just burned faster."

Recipient of the IACOJ Service Award 2003.

Check out the Degrees at a Distance program from the U.S. Fire Administration. It's a four year degree, but it has the advantage of being delivered remotely. You get your distribution requirements (math, english, etc.) at a local institution and the fire related courses by distance learning.

I think there's a link directly from the Firehouse.com site. The USFA also maintains a list of other fire science programs, both 2 and 4 year.

Will a degree guarantee a promotion? Probably not. Will the knowledge you gain help you out in your career? Most definitely.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

As for fire science degrees specifically, I can't speak too much on having better chances for jobs or promotions. However, I must say that a degree looks very favorable with any job application. To say you have a degree in fire science is perhaps the best thing you could do for getting a job in the fire service, one would think. An associate degree can turn into a bachelor's degree, and then a masters. Many departments will pay based on education, and some give bonuses each year for such things as EMT, Intermediate, Paramedic, Associates, Bachelors, etc. In a fire science program, you will take courses designed to make you a more knowledgeable firefighter, so there's no way you could go wrong with that if you're looking at a career in the service. Good luck, and keep us all posted with your choices!
      ~Kevin
      Firefighter/Paramedic
      --^v--^v--^v--^v--
      Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
      Dennis Miller

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse