Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

EMT's denied access to patient

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMT's denied access to patient

I've got a problem, but here is a little background first:

Currently I work part-time for a company that provides contracted EMS services to a "site" that is home to about 5 or 6 different companies. It is a private property site, run by a management company(that contracts us). We have an EMT/Firefighter on duty 24/7 and a paramedic on duty from 0700 to 1900 Monday-Friday. That is what has been contracted through the site and we operate as a fully functional EMS crew. We have a base hospital, medical director and all equipment necessary to provide patient care at whatever certification level we have(Basic or Paramedic).

One client, a customer service call center(company on the site), in particular is being extremely difficult with us, when a paramedic is not on duty. They refuse our EMT's access to the building preventing patient care until a transport unit arrives. Rural Metro is the primary ambulance response and they are about 10-15 minutes away on average, sometimes longer. We have had issues with this client's contracted security company telling our EMT's they may not enter the building. At one point an EMT was allowed access, then forced to pick up all equipment and move the patient outside in order to continue assessing and providing patient care. We have also been told not to come into the building by their security guards and we have to wait outside. I don't see how a security guard has the authority to make a decision for a patient requesting medical care and assistance. To deny that seems illegal, but I may be wrong.

With all this drama happening, we are very concerned with legalities and what could happen to our EMS personnel if a patient decides to take us to court. Is this negligence? Duty to act? What should we do? What measures can we take to ensure we do everything we can to cover our butts in this? Would this fall back on the security company denying us access? Do we need to call law enforcement to aid us in gaining access to the patient? The management company is on board with us, but seems to not be able to persuade the tenant to allow us access. I've researched and tried to find answers but have had no luck. Any help and input would be greatly appreciated! We are in Pima County, Arizona, if anybody is going to look into local law.

Thank you!

Also, I'm sorry if this is the wrong area to post this, I just wasn't sure where else would be better.
    Last edited by redmoon85; 02-08-2013, 06:46 PM.

This sounds like situation I would not like to find myself in.

Personal I think you would be covered. Someone else is restricting you access to the pt. Be sure to document this.

Also I would highly consider rolling SO or PD with you untill the issues is solved. Also I would call the property owner too every time this happens. So they are aware of how offen this goes on.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Comment

Yeah we've been making sure we document thouroughly when this happens. And having SO roll with us has been tossed around for sure. I'm going to suggest it again and see if we can get anything going with that for a standard procedure in that scenario. At my full time job I would probably request SO for sure, but here it's kind of a sticky situation we'll have to investigate further. It's a nuisance I can't seem to figure out haha! There was an email sent a while back regarding this(can't find it now), but they said something to the effect of, and possibly word for word, that "our EMT's are better utilized elsewhere" and have made snide remarks regarding the level of certification an EMT has vs a Paramedic which always comes on the inbound ambulance. It's an assanine group of people running the show over there!

Comment

So you are a private ambulance service?

And a business contracts with you to respond to their business??

Do I have the correct picture?
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

No, we aren't an ambulance service, we are an EMS response team that is contracted for a private site that rents out buildings within the site to various tenants. One of the tenants is giving us a hard time, even though their landlord has contracted us to respond.

Comment

Yes a building can set protocol on entry to their building, since you are not a government agency, do not think you have legal backing to enter a building

With that said sounds like the person contracting you and the business should set down and try to work out the problem

If that fails like the suggestion of calling the police saying someone needs help and being denied access to a patient

Does a city fd respond to this location ???
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

The patients may have a grounds for a law suit if they were denied care.

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
                Yes a building can set protocol on entry to their building, since you are not a government agency, do not think you have legal backing to enter a building

Does a city fd respond to this location ???
                Oh ok cool, good to know. I work for a government fire dept just outside of this area and was not aware of the differences. Thank you! No, Rural Metro responds to this site. It's not within city limits, so they have taken over the CON for transport and EMS.

Johnsb, I agree with that too. The company doesn't tell the employees they're being denied care though, so they really have no clue.

Thank you for all the input!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X