Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Paramedic Wrongfully Terminated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paramedic Wrongfully Terminated

To all EMS,Nursing and Bikers, please read this and like his page. Scott was terminated 2weeks before christmas for no justifiable reason and you will see after reading his side. Scott has 5 kids at home and could use some help. This is a man who has devoted his life to helping whether it was in his military career or his decade and a half as a paramedic at a local ambulance company in colorado springs.

http://www.facebook.com/ScottsSideOfTheStory

First of all, I want to thank all of you for your words of support and encouragement. Nearly everyone I have spoken to about this has expressed shock and outrage, and it is my intent to outline the facts of the situation below to encourage truth and transparency and discourage the escalation of the standard rumor mill.

On the night of December 5, my partner and I transported a mental health patient who was intoxicated and presumably under the influence of "bath salts." The patient was extremely combative, and as such I placed him in four point Kerlix restraints, and administered 5 mg of Haldol and 50 mg of Benadryl IM prior to leaving the scene. Upon our arrival at the hospital, the patient broke free from the Kerlix restraints and struck me behind the left ear hard enough to knock me onto the floor of the ambulance between the bench and the cot. I looked up and saw the patient above me and moving toward my partner, and had no other choice but to attempt to neutralize the situation. From my vulnerable position, my only option was to strike the patient in an upward motion, and the impact was successful in convincing the patient to return to the cot and comply. The patient did sustain a fractured orbit as a result of this interaction, and the force of his blow to my head caused a moderate concussion and a neck strain, and forced me to check into the emergency room myself as a patient and effectively ended my shift.

All investigation by my immediate supervisor, the police department, and the hospital staff resulted in overwhelming agreement that I had acted in self-defense, and had had no other choice but to protect myself and my partner.

I received notification the next morning from management that the investigation was officially concluded, that i had followed all company policies and procedures, and that I was cleared to return to work as soon as cleared by my physicians.

Approximately 3 hours later, upon the arrival of the regional director to the office, that decision was reversed and I was placed on administrative leave pending more investigation. That investigation, spanning the next five days, did not include any discussion with my partner, the police involved, any of the hospital staff involved, or anyone else, despite multiple phone calls made to management by the hospital staff and the police department in attempt to provide information on a voluntary basis.

I was asked to meet with management on Monday to provide my side of the story, which I was more than willing to do. During this meeting, I was asked if I thought there would have been anything else I could have done differently. My reply was that I could have curled up into a ball on the ambulance floor and allow the patient to beat me and my partner to death with the oxygen bottle, or I could have escaped to the front of the ambulance away from my partner and just allow the patient to beat her to death. I refused to allow either of those things to happen, so I took control of the situation with the only tool I had available to me at the time.

I was terminated by my employer on Tuesday, December 11, with the reason given being code of conduct violation. In 18 years of combined prior service to the organization, I had received discipline of any kind only twice before.

I am a solid paramedic with an impeccable commitment to professional integrity and ethical conduct, and I have done my best throughout my career to take good care of my patients and represent my employer well. My opinion is that there are other issues at play in management's decision to terminate me, which will be addressed in the future.

Thanks again for all of your support and friendship. I appreciate it more than I can say.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader