Brannigan on Building Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Does anyone have pictures of an open bow string wood truss roof?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I say Thumbs Up to firehouse for getting Mr.Brannigan to post topics on here.I have read a couple of his books on building const. and he knows his stuff well.I obtained alot of usefull info from him.As for the truss topic,I dont believe there is any marking/placarding system around.I think it would be a great idea but for now we have to rely on preplanning.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Mr. Brannigan receives my respect the old fashion way. He has "earned it". His teachings have without a doubt saved my hide, along with many others that I know. I will read everything that he publishes. It is too bad that more construction people , architects, or engineers are not as interested in helping us be safe & effective.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think that the only system that will ever be consistent are pre-plans for us to use so at least we know what we are facing. The owners aren't going to care if their building is hazardous to us (most anyway), and the majority of contractors won't either. So I don't see either of them willingly putting a "DANGER! TRUSS ROOF!" placard up. Unless we get out in our areas and look ourselves, we won't know until it's too late.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm not aware of one here in the Northeast. I understand New Jersey was working on a system like that a while back, but I don't know what happened with it. Maybe someone from NJ can fill us in.

Would it be a good idea--absolutely. Would it sell--I doubt it. No reason not to try, though.

A 704 marker is the "square on the point" hazardous materials placard you (hopefully) see on haz mat storage buildings and so forth.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. It's mine and mine only. Any similarity to another opinion...living or dead...is purely coincidental.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sorry, but I have no idea what a 704 marker is. Several columns of Brannigans in the past have referred to the need for some type of marking system and I'm curious if one is evolving across the US.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Jim, are you talking outside the building, like a 704 marker would be?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Has a universally accepted marking system for truss roof construction been adopted yet? Has a model statute been written for legislatures to adopt requiring the marking of truss roof buildings?

------------------
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Gee folks:
    After almost a month on these forums, I would have thought that this forum would have been very active. Mr. Brannigan has for many years preached the gospel of the dangers of building construction and remodeling techniques. My own introduction came after fighting a stubborn fire in the attic of a huge three story house that had been partitioned into many small rooms. I went back the next day to try to understand the layout of the attic. I found that in the darkness and smoke that we had beem crawling over and around an open 3'x 3' void space that extended to the first floor. Why my partner or I (or both of us) didn't take a 30'fall that night still amazes me. It DID open my eyes to the fact that there are unseen dangers on EVERY call.

Stay Safe!
    Jim

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm glad that he is going to have a column in the forum. I attended his class on truss collapse about 20 years ago. Mr. Brannigan's alerting us to the dangers of building construction and destruction has surely saved many of our lives. He has earned our respect and thanks.

Leave a comment:

• webteam
    started a topic Brannigan on Building Construction

Brannigan on Building Construction

Frank Brannigan, the noted 'guru' of building construction as it relates to the fire service, begins bi-weekly contributions to Firehouse.Com will his forum column entitled "Know Your Enemy #1"

Post comments, questions and more.

Read Frank's Column at: http://www.firehouse.com/brannigan/070300.html

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X