Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Support Help Needed With a Firefighter Struggling After a Call Weeks Ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ffandrewd
    replied
    hi. I haven’t been on any calls where I’ve seen sh*t, but please tell him to reach out to someone. Tell your chief about it. He shouldn’t have to struggle alone. Please tell someone. Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• Support Help Needed With a Firefighter Struggling After a Call Weeks Ago

Hi,
    I need help with a friend of mine who I volunteer with, he hasn't been right since a traumatic rescue in which a victim was killed under a car (story below). The volunteer is also a career firefighter else where so he's accustom to this day in and day out. I guess he's upset with man power issues and the way companies are spread so thin which is out of our control. I can't reach him, I've tried but I'm at a loss, he hasn't been the same to work with whether it's at the volunteer station or at his career job. It's been noticed by everybody he's around. He even says he's shook up but won't see anyone. Is there anything else I can do other then listen?

I'll call him Mike, he's the station prankster (let's say the station microwave ended up in the back of my truck one night somehow), always making you laugh, everybody is fair game to his verbal nonsense when he steps in the room. He's everybody's friend, father of 3, a loving husband. I've seen him like this before but it was years ago, now there we're older it's different this time. He's venting differently, we'll pitch different outlets to talk about but he keeps coming back to the same thing - the trail incident.

Names and Location have been changed -
    A cold morning in the early part of February would start off like any morning, a BS auto alarm on the other side. Being a volunteer during the daytime hours it’s rough, there's just nobody around. Myself, one other older exterior firefighter, and the driver would race to the other side of town for the auto alarm. 20 minutes later we were back and of course the station empty, nobody else showed up. I was backing in the truck when sure as S*** the tones went out for one of those catastrophic calls, an MVA with a person trapped under the vehicle. The address came in on the opposite side of town by the station where Mike was alone. We immediately loaded up and left, just the three of us, Mike then went enroute by himself. Our ride was going to be a lot longer then Mike’s, I looked in the back of cab at the exterior firefighter, he's a good guy, trustworthy, I can depend on him, the driver, more geared towards other things in the fire service was still a good guy I could depend on, Mike, I wouldn't want anybody else, he's just amazing.
    Well Mike goes on location in the area that was called in with nothing showing, this is always typical as cell phone hero's never knowing where the hell they are when calling 911 for this stretch of road. Mike had to make a split decision and history usually tells us to go straight instead of turning left, so Mike went straight screaming down the road with the ladder truck. The radio was growing quiet, there were no updates, we ended up passing and ambulance who was going the wrong direction to the same call (Fire and EMS are dispatched on separate channels) so it’s just turning into a cluster f*** , it all of a sudden didn't seem that serious of a call since no car had been found and everybody was going different directions, the information just didn’t match up, my guard started to drop a little.... nope, wrong, very wrong.
    The cell phone hero had grotesquely given the wrong address by over a mile at the wrong intersection on the wrong road delaying everybody’s response, Mike had to whip a ladder truck around on a 4 lane highway with traffic present, you could tell in his voice he was excited, this is where his day started to fall apart, Mike should have gone left (I don’t think he blames himself for that at all but it may add to his frustration).
    Now the updates we're flooding in from the police who found it conforming a person trapped turning blue gasping for air under a vehicle.
    S*** S*** S*** S***, this is bad.... there's only 4 of us going to something we need an army for.
    Minutes later Mike would pulled up having to weave a ladder truck around the several cop cars who parked right in the way, that bothered my more then Mike but he was able pull the ladder right up next to the vehicle. Mike then pulled the hurst tool and pump off the ladder by himself and began to set up to lift the vehicle. He was afraid of doing the same thing the ESU in NYC where the vehicle fell on the victim because the hurst tool rolled, he didn't want this car to shift and drop as well.
    At this point we pulled into the scene, I can see Mike trying to get that pump which weighs a ton plus the hurst tool into place. I grab the high lift jack off the back and hook a wheel and begin to start lifting the vehicle. Everybody from the medics to the police are screaming we need this and that, I see Mike crawling under the vehicle trying to reach the victim. It's chaos, no command structure, no officers, we're all running around trying to do what we think is the right thing. Finally some order as I start directing others around me, I tell the other two I came with to get cribbing, order police to get a hose line stretched out, Mike is trying to talk to me, the medics swarming around trying to get leads on the victim, things are moving so fast but time is just standing still.
    It's obvious, he's dead at least to me this victim, he's gone. But not to Mike, his passion for saving lives is strong, I can tell he's trying everything to get this person out. The victim is wrapped around parts, clothing is caught everywhere. Mike is cutting and chopping at what he can, he's reluctant to leave to let the medic in to check for a pulse.
    The victim is declared right then, it's over, we did what we could.

To me the victim looked like he was gone from the start and we didn’t have a chance. It was just that person’s day to leave this world and we did everything we could. But not Mike, he feels that if we had better tools and more man power that this victim could have been saved. It’s an old argument that we’ve been having for years.

I don’t want to sound cold but for me I just do my best with what I’ve got – you win some you lose some, Mike on the other hand has been struggling with it since that day venting is frustration over something that maybe I missed. He says it’s over manpower issues and the tools that are too heavy for just one guy, and he’s right. We’ve been down this road before I just don’t know why this incident is getting to him so badly.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X