Collapse Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on please contact
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by staff. Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned). reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason. values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

How to get in better shape?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I switched from a career in fitness to the fire service. I have a background in strength and conditioning and was personal training manager for the University of Kansas. I am a big fan of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 mixed with a conditioning program like Crossfit. Not a crossfit junkie but mixing short bouts of crossfit style training into a max effort strength program like 5/3/1 is a great combo. 2-4x a week is enough to make tremendous progress.

Nutrition is key as well. Get as close to a paleo diet as possible. Someone on a serious training regiment will need more carbs than a typical paleo diet though.

Rule of thumb. Good fitness starts in the kitchen.

Cut any meals you get through a drive up window or over a walk up counter.
      They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Do not be too hard on yourself. Lots of times the proctors who put on the sessions just want everybody to be tired afterwards. Perhaps it makes the instructors feel more important and in control? Dunno that; but having put on a few training operations myself way back before the dawn of time, my training Chief frankly told me to work them very very hard. What would be the point? Chop until you drop? You might be in great shape.

I use today at the ancient age of 69 an electroinical (sp) stationary exercise bicycle. Works for me. About $250 bucks for a very nice one indeed. Funny thing about the bike. When I started I lasted about 30 seconds, then felt like I was going to code and die quickly. But ... after awhile it becomes habit forming. The more you use the bike, the easier it gets. Just me. Respectfully. HB of CJ (old coot) ex FF PM RN. Dinosaur. Cave Man.

Eat at Subway ... It worked for Jered.

Ummmmmmmmmm ... On second thought ..... Maybe not so much.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Pretty simple training program: Do each exercise for 30-seconds, rest for 15, then move to the next. Rest 1-min after each round. Rinse and repeat for as much time as you have available.

1. Pick up something heavy. Dumbbell sumo squats are pretty good.
            2. Pull something. I like a standing row from a cable machine. Load it up with some fairly heavy weight.
            3. Step up on a box with dumbbells 12-18" box
            4. Pushups, when you can't do any more pushups, just hold yourself up for the remainder of the time
            5. Pull yourself up to something (pullups, chin ups, horizontal pullups/bodyweight row using TRX)
            6. Lunges. Use dumbbells if you'd like, but otherwise just take a big step forward and repeat
            7. Jumping jacks/burpees/ something to get you super tired.
            Rest for 1min.

Look, exercise isn't rocket science. But here's one rule of thumb (there are many more, as everybody offers a "rule of thumb"): whatever you're good at, you can put on the back burner. Whatever you struggle with, make it a priority.

I'm horrible at chin ups. I can get 6 in a row, tops. My goal, eventually do 15 in a row. So they are my priority. I'm okay at pushups. So I don't do as many of those. Still do them, but don't treat them as the end all be all.

Make sense?

I know I'm bringing up a topic that is almost a month old, but just a quick question to the original post, are you trying to improve fitness or lose weight? The two are not the same. If it's endurance for overhaul, then focus on steady circuit type of strength training. Throw in some cardio time on a rowing machine, versaclimber or running and you'll be good to go.

If it's weight loss, then you'll definitely need to check nutrition and calorie intake.

Send me a message if you'd like a little more direction. I currently work as a strength coach in physical therapy focus. I am a reserve for a So Cal department and have been through a FF1 academy. So I get what you're saying.

Hope I can help.

Hit the gym and work your way up increasing weight every week or two, this will increase your strength. You will also need to eat a healthy diet and stay on top of the diet plan. Some protein supplements may also help you with muscle recovery and growth. Good luck!

I use the darebee website, its easy and fun to stay in shape with their programs

With time constraint , we should be little more conscious with our diet and avoid fried food and irregular eating time.
                    FR Coveralls
                    Last edited by Safe; 08-17-2016, 02:33 AM.

I know this topic hasn't been active, but know that we've got some fitness equipment in our station and some of our volunteers are using it, I'd like to hear from other depts (volly or career) that have fitness equipment in-house, how they've encouraged more members to use it, if they set up a training schedule, or any other tips or success stories you can offer. Thanks much - stay safe!

Originally posted by speedtechlights View Post
                        I use the darebee website, its easy and fun to stay in shape with their programs
                        Just came across this site and I'm having my red hats look into:

Workout routines, complete programs, recipes, challenges...looks very user friendly, offers a variety of options and is FREE.

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post

One of my wife's friends is a Registered Dietician.

Her commentary on weight loss is simplistic. Calories in, calories out. There is nothing complicated about it. Weight loss is the Law of Thermodynamics.
                          No offense to your wife, buy some people (including a cute blonde fitness junkie that I tried to pick up in a class once) claim that the calorie in vs calorie out is a myth that has been debunked.

check out this site, it goes into detail and has pictures

However, I do think that as a general rule, increase exercise + decrease caloric intake = weight loss
                          If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

300x600 Forums Only

Upper 300x250

Lower 970x90

Lower 728x90

Lower 300x50