Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Insomnia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insomnia

Hello all,

I've wanted to be a firefighter for a while now, and have taken up my EMT-B course as a prerequisite for Fire Academy (and I actually ended up liking it so much I'm going to go to paramedic school as well.)

There's just something that's been bugging me a bit lately that I wanted to address.

I sleep pretty poorly most nights, and as of late, with greater and greater frequency and deprivation. Sometimes I just can't fall asleep, other times I'll wake up in the middle of the night, occasionally I'll wake up far too early and can't get back to bed, etc. I do everything in my power to control it (no electronics before bed, noise control, deep breathing, don't go to bed hungry, get plenty of vigorous exercise, etc.) but no matter what, I remain a ridiculously light sleeper (someone closing a door downstairs is enough to wake me up).

I want to be a firefighter badly, but I'm afraid the 24 hour shift schedule will be enough to permanently wreck my already terrible sleep patterns. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here, since it could be years before I get a firefighting job, and maybe my sleep problems will be fixed by then, but it's a worry that lurks in the back of my mind. As much as I want to be a firefighter, I want to live a happy, healthy, well-rested life more. (More importantly, I don't want to endanger anyone by coming to work already sleep deprived and then exacerbating my fatigue)

So I had a few questions:

1) Does/did anyone have problems like this and still went into the Fire Service? Did you find any techniques or habits that helped you?
    2) Did anyone end up with worse off-duty sleep as a result of working in the Fire Service?
    3) Since it seems like many Paramedics in my area work 12 hour shifts, I've begin considering moving straight into purely EMS over Fire. Does anyone know the typical salary of a Paramedic in California?

Thanks guys.

I'm not a firefighter yet but I'm working on it.

I have Aspergers Syndrome (or 'Low Spectrum Autism' as it's called now) and one of the problems with that is that I have difficulty sleeping. My mind is extremely active and there will be plenty of nights where I can't sleep at all. My mind will just think from one subject to the next and I toss and turn all night.

I have been very inactive my whole life but ever since I wanted to be a firefighter I started working out to get in shape. After I do about a four-mile run, I will sleep like a rock that night.

You mentioned that you do vigorous exercise and that doesn't seem to help. How much exercise do you do?
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Comment

yes, no, do not know

more then likely your sleep patterns will change once you get hired, but do not worry about it.

if problem persists once hired see a doc and get a work up done
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

I find that sleep in the Fire House is a little more of a struggle than at home but that would be the case if I sleep anywhere away from home. I also struggle with insomnia and believe that it is related to being excited about my life and having difficulty quieting my mind. If you feel called to be a Fire Fighter go for it. It is very rewarding.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X