Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

DHS Email on SCBA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHS Email on SCBA

Everyone that applied for SCBA should have gotten this in the Mail Center as well as the Profile Contact's email, but just in case you haven't seen it:

Please note - if you have not received an award package or turndown decision from your FY2007 Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) application, then the policy notification which follows is NOT an indication that you will receive an award. We are, however, trying to ensure that all applicants for SCBA's are aware of the procedures and process that AFG will follow in implementing the recently effective, new SCBA standard.

The Assistance to Firefighter Program Office is aware of NFPA's 2007 change in the SCBA standard (NFPA 1981). This new standard is effective as of September 1, 2007, and from that date forward, grantees will be required to purchase SCBA that is certified to the 2007 edition of NFPA 1981. We understand that there may be a price increase for SCBA that is compliant with the new standard; unfortunately, we have no pricing data to determine what a reasonable allowance would be for the new SCBA. In light of this, we have therefore been assigning, and will continue to assign a value of $5,000 to grant awards as a price for an entire SCBA ensemble including a spare cylinder.

For grants awarded after July 1, 2007 (whether the awards be from 2006 or 2007 program years), if it is determined that $5,000 is insufficient to cover the costs of the requested SCBA we will consider amending the award to cover the Federal-share of the difference. In order for us to consider providing grantees with additional funding, grantees must submit an amendment AND do the following:

i. Obtain no less than three bids from three different manufacturers and submit the quotes/bids (via fax or pdf) to the program office for review. The bids should include delivery dates. The bids should also include a detailed breakdown of costs for cylinders, regulators, harness (including PASS device), spare cylinders, face piece, and voice amplifier (if separate), unless the bidder is indicating that the cost of the ensemble is less than the sum of component parts, and the grantee applied for the entire ensemble; and,

ii. Provide an inventory of existing SCBA with the date of purchase (month/year) for the SCBA. This inventory may be abbreviated, for example: 6 SCBA purchased in Oct 2003; 10 SCBA purchased in June 2006, etc.

For FY2006 program year grantees awarded between December 20, 2006 (the effective date of the new standard), and June 30, 2007, that have not purchased SCBA prior to the standard change (September 1, 2007) will have to provide justification for the delay in executing their grant in order to get an extension to their period of performance. However, these 2006-grantees will not be afforded any additional funds.

For FY2006 program year grantees awarded prior to December 20, 2006, that have not purchased SCBA prior to the standard change (September 1, 2007), will not receive extensions to their grant's period of performance unless they can provide justification that the delay was beyond their control. Delaying the purchase of "urgently needed" safety equipment is generally an indication that the equipment was not needed, thus difficult to justify.

As an FYI also, you are not technically required to take low bid if the manufacturer of choice is not low bid depending on your local bid laws. But DHS will only reimburse to the matching level of the low bid. So X comes in at $6000, Y is $6400. You want Y, DHS will only match 95% of X ($5700) so you'll have to match $700/pack instead of $300.
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Kurt~

Now we will see if your theory was correct. Were they waiting to resolve the SCBA issue before they issued many more awards? If you are right, they are prime to dump a ton of 1199a's now that has been resolved. I sure hope so. We requested 4 SCBAs along with a couple of other items for our decon unit and for our light rescue. We made it through the computer and haven't heard a thing since.

LET THE 1199a ROLL!

Jon

Comment

They've been sending out SCBA 1199As the whole time, got 3 last week. But hopefully they step it up.
      Brian P. Vickers

Comment

And this only went to individual apps apparently, they didn't have SCBA in the PPE dropdown for Regional apps so no automated way to send out this email.
        Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
          They've been sending out SCBA 1199As the whole time, got 3 last week.
          I guess it could be grasping, but how many of your 3 were SCBA + another project. I'm curious about strictly SCBA projects alone. Those who needed PPE and SCBA might have just gotten "lucky" and thrown in because of their big need for PPE.

Comment

So there is apparently no correlation between this e-mail and future award chances, eh?

I did have an app that includes SCBA to receive its 1199a yesterday, but it has yet to receive this e-mail.
            “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
            ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Some got the message and others did not...(?)

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
              And this only went to individual apps apparently, they didn't have SCBA in the PPE dropdown for Regional apps so no automated way to send out this email.
              Does this mean that they only sent this email out to people who have not yet been awarded but who asked for SCBA in their proposal?

We asked for four new packs plus a spare for each. I know other SCBA awards have been made and it sounds like those departments did not receive this message.

I am grateful for the information but also a bit perplexed.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by SLY4420 View Post
                I guess it could be grasping, but how many of your 3 were SCBA + another project. I'm curious about strictly SCBA projects alone. Those who needed PPE and SCBA might have just gotten "lucky" and thrown in because of their big need for PPE.
                We were awarded back on 8/24 for a strickly SCBA project.

Brian, thanks for posting this information. I just checked my e-mail and the letter was there. Wasn't there this morning.

Comment

I just answered my own question. The letter states:

"We are, however, trying to ensure that all applicants for SCBA's are aware of the procedures and process that AFG will follow in implementing the recently effective, new SCBA standard."

So this letter should have been been sent to everyone who applied for SCBA and it DHSs attempt to make sure we all have the same information.

Sorry to clog the thread. I didn't get home until 12:30am from Kurt's seminar in Milwaukee. Now I am sitting at my desk at work trying to stay awake. This has been a rough day, to say the least. I sure wish that DHS email would have been an award announcement!

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by SLY4420 View Post
                    Only 1 had a compressor, the other 2 were strict SCBA with RIT packs. Sorry, but gonna have to wait like the rest of us on those other SCBAs.
                    Brian P. Vickers

Comment

i. Obtain no less than three bids from three different manufacturers and submit the quotes/bids (via fax or pdf) to the program office for review.
                      Just curious, but if a department uses brand x already, but applied for an additional # of SCBA's, would they have to go with another brand due to the line above and low bids?
                      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

No, as I mentioned at the end of the post they'll only reimburse up to the matching of low bid. And that hoop jumping is only if you want more than the $5k they're awarding. Otherwise the 2 bid minimum applies.
                        Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Ok, maybe my mind is a little fried after instructing recruits all day on how to dangle off a rope, but there appears to be a conflict in the letter.

After reading the letter there appears to be 2 effective dates that conflict with one another.

This new standard is effective as of September 1, 2007,
                          For FY2006 program year grantees awarded between December 20, 2006 (the effective date of the new standard),
                          Am I missing something?

Comment

Man I'm glad I got my '06 airpack grant ordered early and delivered already.

Comment

I got an e-mail asking if they change my bid for 5,200.00 to 5,000.00 would we accept. Has anyone else recived and e-mail like this? and is this a good e-mail cause I told them yes I would.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90