Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NIMS-Beating a dead horse

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NIMS-Beating a dead horse

    Looking for some simple (?) up to date information at where we need to be as a department for NIMS (in regards to applying for FEMA money, etc). What certifications do our firefighters need currently? Does it need to be every member of the deparment (we, as some other departments have quite a few inactive members who only show up once or twice a year, just to say they are on the deparment). I am having trouble with the search feature on here, so I can't look it up, and the stuff on FEMA's website gives me a headache trying to read through all their information.

    Thanks!

  • #2
    Originally posted by befferk View Post
    Looking for some simple (?) up to date information at where we need to be as a department for NIMS (in regards to applying for FEMA money, etc). What certifications do our firefighters need currently? Does it need to be every member of the deparment (we, as some other departments have quite a few inactive members who only show up once or twice a year, just to say they are on the deparment). I am having trouble with the search feature on here, so I can't look it up, and the stuff on FEMA's website gives me a headache trying to read through all their information.

    Thanks!
    Try here Beth: http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/re_nims.asp
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

    Comment


    • #3
      This is what we were told we needed

      a. Chiefs are required to have 100 – 400, 700, & 800
      b. Upper managers/officers are required to have 100 – 300, and 700
      c. Firefighters are required to have 100, 200, & 700

      Comment


      • #4
        Kurt is working on getting some clearer answers for me (us?), but in the mean time, to complicate things even more , here are the 2 responses I received via email:

        From Steve at DHS: "All we really require is that you are working toward compliance at all levels. That means if people in your department are doing the training you are compliant."

        And from Dawn at the WI Dept. of Admin. AFG: "As long as you are trying to comply with the nims requirements you can apply for this grant. You know you need to be compliant and at this point, that is enough."

        Clear as mud, right?

        Comment


        • #5
          And I asked the question at our workshop, "How do you check that we are NIMS compliant?"

          Answer, "We don't, we just make sure you check the box." The presenter did go on to say that you may be asked to provide supporting info for any answers you give if awarded, but they currently do not do anything to make sure you are NIMS compliant. Other agencies may check, but they dont for AFG.

          bruce
          Bruce Arp
          2nd Asst. Chief
          Weston Volunteer Fire & Resuce
          http://www.westonfire.com

          Comment


          • #6
            The director of grants and training from Indiana DHS was at our workshop Monday night--i got a very clear impression that his department is keeping an eye on who is checking the box and making sure it matches who is reporting on the state level--at least to the best of their ability.

            And...it makes sense that the states do some self-policing--future federal funding depends on it and you can bet that folks fudging on 100/200 will not knowingly be permitted to jeapordize the system for the rest of us.

            earl (with a tip of the hat to Gary Robison for a job well done in Indiana)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Greenacres2 View Post
              The director of grants and training from Indiana DHS was at our workshop Monday night--i got a very clear impression that his department is keeping an eye on who is checking the box and making sure it matches who is reporting on the state level--at least to the best of their ability.
              Could you clarify by what you mean by reporting on the state level?

              Comment


              • #8
                I think a word of caution i needed here. Everyone here should bear in mind that regardless of what you are being told by anyone at this point, HSPD-5 is a Presidential Directive and by LAW, states you will be compliant. When you push the submit button on that application, the Chief of that department is signing his name electronically swearing that the infromation on the applicaton is true and correct. To knowingly check a box stating that you are compliant, when in fact you KNOW that you are not, is fraud. I know there is not a fire truck in the world worth me doing Federal prison time for.
                Kurt Bradley
                Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by befferk View Post
                  Could you clarify by what you mean by reporting on the state level?
                  I beleive what he is referring to is NIMCAST which is the tool being rolled out to the states and local governments to track their compliance with directives. More can be read about this here:

                  http://www.fema.gov/nimcast/index.jsp
                  Kurt Bradley
                  Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                  " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Greenacres2 View Post
                    The director of grants and training from Indiana DHS was at our workshop Monday night--i got a very clear impression that his department is keeping an eye on who is checking the box and making sure it matches who is reporting on the state level--at least to the best of their ability.

                    And...it makes sense that the states do some self-policing--future federal funding depends on it and you can bet that folks fudging on 100/200 will not knowingly be permitted to jeapordize the system for the rest of us.

                    earl (with a tip of the hat to Gary Robison for a job well done in Indiana)
                    You're absolutely correct Earl! Indiana has truly done a great job with NIMS and making sure that the information is distributed and tracked through the IDHS. Indiana even offers their own state certificiation for NIMS and all you have to do is show them a copy of your IS-100 or 200 cert. I can say working in Indiana and living in Illinois it's amazing the difference in the fire service in each state and each one has its own vantages but this is certainly an area that Indiana excells in.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      On a side note, we heard last night that NIMS 300 is going to be 18 hrs long.

                      Comment

                      300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                      Collapse

                      Upper 300x250

                      Collapse

                      Taboola

                      Collapse

                      Leader

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X