Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't forget to say thanks!

And lets continue to make improvements.

I sent the following to Congressman Tanner today. Similar letters went out to Senator Alexander and Senator Corker. Thank your people in Washington if you were fortunate enough to get funded. Take the opportunity to ask them to do the right thing on future funding while you are at it.

Dear Congressman Tanner:

Thank you for your support over the last several years of the Assistance to Firefighters Grant program. This program has truly been a blessing for the Gilt Edge Volunteer Fire Department and to many other departments in Tipton County and West Tennessee. We received our award package today for the 2006 program. We have been fortunate to have been funded in 5 years out of 6 since the start of the program. The program has allowed us make our operations safer and to improve the services we offer to the citizens that we serve. This would not have been possible without this program.

How ironic that we received our grant the same week that President Bush announced his upcoming budget that included severe cuts to this program. I urge you to work diligently to restore funding to this vital program. I urge you to support the full funding of 1 billion dollars annually that was authorized in the original legislation that created the Assistance to Firefighters Grant program. There are still so many unfulfilled needs in our Department and throughout West Tennessee and the nation. This program is vital to those needs and it is critical to make the maximum funding available.

I'll second that motion. This is a MUST do for you winners. They keep cutting your dollars and the only way you can make gains here is to let them know the need is still there folks!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

I'd encourage DJ'ers to do it also--just different...

Thank you for the letter of support, however in spite of our great need for xxxxxx, we were not awarded this year. When funding for AFG is discussed in the next budget, please consider the needs of fire departments in your district by supporting additional funding.

Just a thought.
      earl

Comment

Originally posted by Greenacres2 View Post

Thank you for the letter of support, however in spite of our great need for xxxxxx, we were not awarded this year. When funding for AFG is discussed in the next budget, please consider the needs of fire departments in your district by supporting additional funding.

Just a thought.
        earl
        And a good one at that Earl.
        Kurt Bradley

Comment

Originally posted by Greenacres2 View Post

Just a thought.
          earl
          Can I get an AMEN???

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
            They keep cutting your dollars and the only way you can make gains here is to let them know the need is still there folks!
            Actually, the House and Senate keep adding to the line, it's the President that keeps cutting the dollars.

But, I agree that "thank you's" are a must and as I've mentioned before, invite them to your firehouse to see what you've gotten with the $$. If it's a big item (apparatus) invite them down for a "check" presentation. Good PR for them and good PR for the community.

And while you're at it, don't forget to send your pictures and stories to www.firegrantsupport.com!
            "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
            -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

A slightly different view

Here is an excerpt from the newspaper in the town where I used to work. This congressman is taking credit for the grant that I wrote, when he had no prior knowledge of this particular grant even being written.

Lake Powell Chronicle

PAGE- "It took almost two years to get it accomplished , but U.S. Rep. Rick Renzi (R-Ariz .) was able to get the Page Fire Department a large federal grant, which it will use to update a lot of outdated equipment and garner new equipment that the department needs. The grant, totaling $227,723, was the result of intense lobbying by the city...

The grant is a single allotment of funds, but Renzi was quick to point out that Page’s unique situation enables it to qualify for additional funding in future years.

“It’ll make it a lot easier to go back again, once Congress re-appropriates the money for fire grants,” he said. The reason it took so long for the federal grant to come to fruition, the congressman explained, is due to two factors : Grants on a normal scale take 12 to 15 months to go through the motions before they can be distributed , and then there was the issue of getting all the information via fact-finding visits and making sure all the paperwork was in order prior to getting started.

“We’re right at about 15 months from the time everything got in and began the process,” Renzi said. “The initial process was me going out there."

I'll admit he came to Page, but as far as knew it was not legal for a congressman to have his hand in the process. I guess I was wrong.

I do know that he had no contact with me, and we followed all the rules.

The other thing I will readily admit is that this grant is much needed and is truly a lifesaver for the region.
              Mongo

Comment

Originally posted by DianeC View Post
                Actually, the House and Senate keep adding to the line, it's the President that keeps cutting the dollars.

But, I agree that "thank you's" are a must and as I've mentioned before, invite them to your firehouse to see what you've gotten with the $$. If it's a big item (apparatus) invite them down for a "check" presentation. Good PR for them and good PR for the community.

And while you're at it, don't forget to send your pictures and stories to www.firegrantsupport.com!
                It is important that we keep letting them know we still have needs and the only way to take care of most of them is through this grant!

Comment

Originally posted by ccmongo View Post
                  Here is an excerpt from the newspaper in the town where I used to work. This congressman is taking credit for the grant that I wrote, when he had no prior knowledge of this particular grant even being written.

Lake Powell Chronicle

PAGE- "It took almost two years to get it accomplished , but U.S. Rep. Rick Renzi (R-Ariz .) was able to get the Page Fire Department a large federal grant, which it will use to update a lot of outdated equipment and garner new equipment that the department needs. The grant, totaling $227,723, was the result of intense lobbying by the city...

The grant is a single allotment of funds, but Renzi was quick to point out that Page’s unique situation enables it to qualify for additional funding in future years.

“It’ll make it a lot easier to go back again, once Congress re-appropriates the money for fire grants,” he said. The reason it took so long for the federal grant to come to fruition, the congressman explained, is due to two factors : Grants on a normal scale take 12 to 15 months to go through the motions before they can be distributed , and then there was the issue of getting all the information via fact-finding visits and making sure all the paperwork was in order prior to getting started.

“We’re right at about 15 months from the time everything got in and began the process,” Renzi said. “The initial process was me going out there."

I'll admit he came to Page, but as far as knew it was not legal for a congressman to have his hand in the process. I guess I was wrong.

I do know that he had no contact with me, and we followed all the rules.

The other thing I will readily admit is that this grant is much needed and is truly a lifesaver for the region.
                  Mongo
                  There is no accounting for how politicians can gather the spotlight unto themselves mongo. But hey; capitalize on the fact that he got you in the news. Call him up, introduce yourself to him as the actual wirter who did the work on this grant and ask him to stand by his word and help you get another one through next year.
                  Kurt Bradley

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
                    Call him up, introduce yourself to him as the actual wirter who did the work on this grant and ask him to stand by his word and help you get another one through next year.
                    I like your way of thinking.............
                    Joe Fireman

Comment

And maybe educate them on the workings of the grant. Or more accurately educate the staffer that feeds him information so he doesn't look like he's completely clueless next time he talks about the program....
                      Brian P. Vickers
                      www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                      Emergency Services Consulting
                      Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                      Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
                        And maybe educate them on the workings of the grant. Or more accurately educate the staffer that feeds him information so he doesn't look like he's completely clueless next time he talks about the program....
                        ditto to that and one more thing. This year when you submit, send him a copy of your grant and ask him to place a letter of support in your file.
                        Kurt Bradley

Comment

Do letters of support actually account for anything? I have heard it both ways.

Comment

Nope, don't mean squat. That's why they go to the DHS office and not anywhere near Peer Review. Just a means of tracking who to notify if the app is getting awarded.
                            Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Just to clarify, they don't mean squat on scoring. But they let the Congressfolks know that you're in need and using the program, so it gives them a heads up to keep putting money into it. So definitely get them to send some in.
                              Brian P. Vickers

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse