• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received our DJ as well. No SCBA's for us
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

Comment

Originally posted by ncvfc17 View Post
      We received the exact same language in our e-mail yesterday. I agree that you need to keep positive, however, it is funny how quick your own guys turn on the grant writer. I am not a professional grant writer, but have been successful in prior years. I am college educated with a Master's degree in Engineering and have a successful career with much responsibility. I break my rear end doing much of the paperwork, letter writing, and financial work for our department, which includes all grant applications, not to mention being a Lieutenant.

Last year our line officers came up with a terrible project that I new would not do well even if I wrote like Hemingway! However, I was overrulled, so I wrote the grant and was DENIED on the first DJ. This year, we had a much better project with real goals and objectives and we ALMOST got there. In 2004 we had an equally deserving project and got funded. The first thing I hear this morning when I shared the news with another LT was "maybe we should hire somebody next year". Ticks me off!

Sorry for the vent, but you get bad news and get kicked in the teeth right after it! Funny how those that can't or don't try can easily criticize.

Well, take care and good luck to all next year.
      Best solution for that is to let the loudmouth write it himself and see if he does any better! Bet he was not anywhere around last year helping you gather data either. Make sure he gets the same comment from you when he gets DJd.I would like to suggest that if you are haiving these problems that maybe you should get in a seminar form one of us in here. Believe me; many, many in here will tell you how much it helps out.
      Kurt Bradley
      Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
      " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

The first thing I hear this morning when I shared the news with another LT was "maybe we should hire somebody next year". Ticks me off!
        Kind of ironic, you are the golden boy when the the grants are awarded, but don't have a clue what you are doing when the DJ's come in. Working with a committee that has no real understanding of the process makes your job that more difficult, even applying for a grant you know wont fly.

They either need to attend a seminar, take over the process or tell the chief you need to work solo.

Comment

One solution when finding grants is not to say anything. Just apply. If you're awarded, it's great. If not, no one knows any better!

I guess that's the benefit?! of being the Chief.

Comment

Count my department as a Charter member also in that "0-fer" club. It must be pretty cool to receive thousands of dollars to purchase much need equipment. Oh well, sucks to be us I guess. Difficult to be positive at this point.

Comment

these dj's were they sent to departments that have received the 1199's and the 10 questions?

Comment

There has been 1 posting of a department that recieved a DJ that had previously recieved the 1199A & 10 q's. Unknown if there were other issues such incomplete reports etc. that may have caused the DJ.

There have been no other postings, it may be an isolated case, but maybe not.

Comment

I think it was isolated. They had their Ref. Award # taken away in Dec. I think after that, they were out of the running. I am not worried.

yet.

Comment

The first thing I hear this morning when I shared the news with another LT was "maybe we should hire somebody next year". Ticks me off!
                    I hear ya. My response to that statement would be "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Some people are quick to point out problems or what needs to be done, but real slow to help actually solve the problem.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of your department fully appreciates your efforts. Don't let one 'bonehead' throw you off track.

Tim

Comment

Recieved our DJ.

Some people also complain that the same departments keep getting the grants. Well, maybe those same departments know what they are doing.

Last year our chief gave the OK to apply for the grant (and what we can apply for) with less than 3 weeks before deadline Made it to final DJ....so this year I think we may have a shot at it with a little tweeking here and there!!!!! Good luck to all!
                      Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

We have gotten 3 in a row. Now, it is becoming "expected," and turning into a wish list.

Comment

You are out of control CTJAKE!

Comment

1018, how are things going? Haven't heard from you in a while. Still catching some good fires? What are you guys going for this year?

Comment

Everything I can get my hands on.Seeing alot of fire too.

Comment

I had a great time when I rode out with you last time. That car fire you had was "legendary." Boy, that had to be hot.

Stay safe and stay low, and good luck on this years grant. You taught me alot with my others.

I'll give you a call when I'm in the "Village".

ps. Haven't seen you in the paper lately. Surprising with all the fire and everything.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X