Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Reductions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grant Reductions

    We got an email asking if we would accept a grant for about $5000 less than originally requested...We responded that we would work with the lower amount...
    Ths question now is, Does a request for lower funding indicate that an award will be made???

  • #2
    Just like recieving the 1199A and 10 q's, the reduction notice is another sign pointing towards an award. Your chances are really excellent for the award. You have to look at it like this; the feds are not going to waste their time and energy in sending an email out for funding reductions if they were not planning on giving an award.

    But, again it's not final until you recieve the award letter.

    Comment


    • #3
      Willie,
      When did you receive your 10 questions and 1199a update request?

      Comment


      • #4
        Got the 1099A and the 10 questions (which are actually 9 questions) about two weeks ago. We were in that batch that was sent with the wrong address name and EIN number that was discussed in another thread.

        Comment


        • #5
          Tempered celebration

          Got the 1199A and 10Q's during the Chip Plankenhorn fiasco, just received the reduction message today. We were a O-fer (0 for every year) club member. Will receive 20 sets of Turnouts. Grace System ($13,000), including the optional Panasonic Toughbook and the 20 devices ($15,000) completely tossed out. I mean will are still grateful, but they completely tossed the accountability system.

          Comment


          • #6
            whooo

            Originally posted by svfd16 View Post
            Got the 1199A and 10Q's during the Chip Plankenhorn fiasco, just received the reduction message today. We were a O-fer (0 for every year) club member. Will receive 20 sets of Turnouts. Grace System ($13,000), including the optional Panasonic Toughbook and the 20 devices ($15,000) completely tossed out. I mean will are still grateful, but they completely tossed the accountability system.

            That seems pretty strange - we got the Grace Accountability System a couple of years ago with just the base station - no computer. Wonder if they will negoitiate and get everything but the computer (though the computer makes the system easier to use).

            My problem - 2005 grant awarded for new pumper - tanker. The manufacturer was late in building the truck so we had to apply a for 2 extensions (last extension is up in 8 days). The truck is done and setting at dealer, who wont deliver until we can pay the balance owed. Entered a request for funds last Monday and is still pending today. Every other time I have submitted a payment request, usually approved in 24 hours and the money would be in the account in 3 days. Emailed grant support - they are telling me that it could take 15 days to get our payment approved - which would be after our extension has expired. New truck is setting there - and I'm stuck in limbo
            Last edited by mitchkrat; 02-05-2007, 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling

            Comment


            • #7
              is there hope

              [QUOTE=mitchkrat;767559]That seems pretty strange - we got the Grace Accountability System a couple of years ago with just the base station - no computer. Winder if they will negoitiate and get everything but the computer (though the computer makes the system easier to use).

              Can you negotiate something like that?. The laptop would be nice,(alot of other fire ground uses besides accountability!). Going with Grace's computer would save $3000(I think). Any guru's out there ever negotiated something similar like this and where successful?

              Comment


              • #8
                Our 2005 application included the Grace T Pass 3 system. Original reduction offered "accountability system" at $3,000 max. We responded with a request to reconsider, pointing out the additional benefits by quoting our narrative. Ended up with enough for the base station and 16 units instead of 24 requested.

                As far as the Tough Book vs. the base station--if the project is worthy, the Tough Book upgrade at approx $3,000 would seem to gain cost-benefit IF the narrative points out the additional flexibility and usage. i.e. Pre-plans, fire prevention presentations, CAMEO/ALOHA, etc.

                Limited experience here, but i think that the attitude we responded with and the back-up in the narrative restored a large chunk of our funding. Our original request focused on the cardiovascular risk of ALL firefighters, not just those wearing packs or doing entry.

                earl (and...maybe i just got lucky once!!)

                Comment


                • #9
                  If negotiation is an option we choose to try, do we contact the individual who wrote the email notifying us of the reduction, to start this process. And will they tell us the reason why they tossed out that part of our request. We are kind of mystified the entire accountibility system was tossed.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by svfd16 View Post
                    If negotiation is an option we choose to try, do we contact the individual who wrote the email notifying us of the reduction, to start this process. And will they tell us the reason why they tossed out that part of our request. We are kind of mystified the entire accountibility system was tossed.
                    Contact the perosn on the email first. They should give you someindication of why they are reducing you.
                    Kurt Bradley
                    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This article was forwarded this morning by Capt Brian Kazmierzak of Michiana FOOLS in South Bend, IN:
                      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16890732/
                      Though it might be helpful in your accountability appeal. Sure makes a good argument for redundant systems, especially when it adds two-way signalling.
                      Good luck.
                      earl

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I read that article yesterday. Makes you think. We demo'd scott packs and the new PASS system built into the pack seems to be pretty well thought out.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Trouble is--you get a lot of risk on scene with firefighters who never put on a pack in the course of their work, and (worse)--those who have gone through a few bottles of air, remove the pack and go to use the open-air port-a-pot. CV system is stressed, FF is NOT with a buddy (we hope) , and the weeds are tall. Seems like a reason to use a system that is not integrated to the SCBA in addition to the one that is.

                          Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.
                          earl

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I agree with you on that. Each of our firefighters have a pass device with an accountability card assigned to that card that each person is suppose to take to the safey/accountability officer when you get on scene. Big problem we have is that sometimes your IC is safety and accountability. As well as some firefighters just don' take time to turn the accountability card in. We looked at salamander technologies as well as the super pass system. Still up in the air.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Greenacres2 View Post
                              Trouble is--you get a lot of risk on scene with firefighters who never put on a pack in the course of their work, and (worse)--those who have gone through a few bottles of air, remove the pack and go to use the open-air port-a-pot. CV system is stressed, FF is NOT with a buddy (we hope) , and the weeds are tall. Seems like a reason to use a system that is not integrated to the SCBA in addition to the one that is.

                              Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.
                              earl
                              Have to agree - we had a firefighter in a neighboring department that died on a grass fire during overhaul - wasn't found for sometime. Because of this we went with PASS devices for each firefighter (Grace System). We do a lot of work without SCBA on - but the SCBA versions are pretty cool - lets the IC or Safety Officer see how long you have been in air and how much air you have left.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X