X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenacres2
    replied
    Originally posted by imafireman View Post
    If what Brian said is true about the ordering after submitting and then bragging about the award, I would expect that the wordings will be different for that area. I am hoping that the match does not increase. Honestly, I do not know how we could come up with the funding to match at 10%. AND as far as the birch beer, If I am able to write a narrative to get funding for a pumper tanker next year, I will get you a case of that somehow!! If Kurt wasnt on his way to PA this weekend, I would have probably made the trip out to your seminar and brought it along with me!! My wife even gave me permission to come out!! SORRY ABOUT YOUR LUCK!!
    I'm thinking you ought to come out anyway. We can put you to work as a volunteer--getting the snacks ready, organizing lunch, stuff like that. Shoot, we could make you the "social director"!!

We're coming down to the last two weeks for the discounted fee in Northwest Indiana. My hard-core guess is that if they are saying there will be significant changes, that getting smarter is getting wiser.

earl (got the hankerin' for a Hank's!!)

Leave a comment:

• imafireman
    replied
    Originally posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    Well....i have less hair than Brian, but....
    My guess (uneducated and with NO inside info or contacts) is that vehicles will....
    1. Have a higher local match (10% for rural, etc)
    and/or
    2. Longer period of performance (18 months to reduce the extensions)
    and/or
    3. No money in the game for the Feds until delivery (in addition to the performance bond)

Purely guessing. Do we need a new thread and a pool?? Can we get imafireman to ante up a Hank's Birch Beer???

earl

If what Brian said is true about the ordering after submitting and then bragging about the award, I would expect that the wordings will be different for that area. I am hoping that the match does not increase. Honestly, I do not know how we could come up with the funding to match at 10%. AND as far as the birch beer, If I am able to write a narrative to get funding for a pumper tanker next year, I will get you a case of that somehow!! If Kurt wasnt on his way to PA this weekend, I would have probably made the trip out to your seminar and brought it along with me!! My wife even gave me permission to come out!! SORRY ABOUT YOUR LUCK!!

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Nope. Different one. Might surface eventually. And won't be good news for the "award" recipients. Defrauding the federal government is not a good thing, and since no one probably ever reads them, it says in the assurances that things will be referred to the Attorney General. I'm thinking of a quote from Office Space...

Leave a comment:

• Greenacres2
    replied
    Originally posted by BC79er View Post
    ...Or in the case of some news I heard this morning, ones that order new trucks 2 weeks after putting in a grant application for one and saying we're too poor to buy one. Then get awarded and brag about it to others that got denied.
    Wow, do you think that might have been the same one that posted here a few months back??

earl

Leave a comment:

• Greenacres2
    replied
    Originally posted by Not2L84U2 View Post
    Well come on Brian...don't keep us in suspense...what's your guess?
    Well....i have less hair than Brian, but....
    My guess (uneducated and with NO inside info or contacts) is that vehicles will....
    1. Have a higher local match (10% for rural, etc)
    and/or
    2. Longer period of performance (18 months to reduce the extensions)
    and/or
    3. No money in the game for the Feds until delivery (in addition to the performance bond)

Purely guessing. Do we need a new thread and a pool?? Can we get imafireman to ante up a Hank's Birch Beer???

earl

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    I'm getting too old for guessing games. Now I play a mean game of Peek-A-Boo....

But somewhat seriously, there's not much I can think of that makes sense, which is probably why I'll never guess it. They can't restrict to commercial chassis over custom b/c you can't put aerials on them. I know you can but that's just asking for trouble. Anyway... Can't limit cab types, only few thousand difference between 2dr & 4dr commercial.

About the only thing I can think of is some sort of additional questions to further scrutinize the department's application to truly get the trucks to those in need, not those that play games. Or in the case of some news I heard this morning, ones that order new trucks 2 weeks after putting in a grant application for one and saying we're too poor to buy one. Then get awarded and brag about it to others that got denied.

Ya know, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to be in the fire service but it would sure be nice to get some basic common sense and intelligence in some areas.

Leave a comment:

• Not2L84U2
    replied
    Originally posted by BC79er View Post
    Bruce from Weston just posted about an email from DHS claiming a 'change in concept' for vehicles this year. Anyone got any guesses on that?
    Well come on Brian...don't keep us in suspense...what's your guess?

Leave a comment:

• onebugle
    replied
    Originally posted by befferk View Post
    the water department told us we had to stop using from the hydrants because we used too much water.
    I guess the hydrants are reserved for dog use only.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    the water department told us we had to stop using from the hydrants because we used too much water
    I'm sure the customers whose place was burning appreciated that.

Bruce from Weston just posted about an email from DHS claiming a 'change in concept' for vehicles this year. Anyone got any guesses on that?

Leave a comment:

• befferk
    replied
    Thanks for the help, onebugle. I apologize for hijacking someone else's thread (again ) but I am having the worst problems starting a new thread, not to mention I can't search AT ALL. I tried on 2 different computers.

Anyway, I appreciate the help, and I will address each one of the questions you posed in our narrative in one form or another. I basically wanted to know if we would automatically be "out" since we have 2 tankers. I know the competition is stiff at best, but we have new SCBA and turnout, and this is what we really need to work on next with being so rural. Only 4% of our district has hydrants, and the last big fire we had in town, the water department told us we had to stop using from the hydrants because we used too much water.

Thanks!
    Beth

Leave a comment:

• onebugle
    replied
    Anyway, they want to replace the worst of the 2. Both actually need replacing.
    Replacing both tankers with one tanker is not a bad idea. A new tanker with sufficient water (3500 gallons) with a better delivery system, may be just as effective. The key to this is how your deprtment operates its' shuttle system.

Do the current tankers arrive and dump into a portable tank or just pump into a supply line to the attack engine? If into a tank is it sufficient capacity to hold water from both tankers so one tanker is not sitting waiting for the portable tank to empty before off loading? Is mutual aid responding on the initial call for a structure fire or is it delayed until someone arrives and reports a working fire? Do mutual aid departments train together on setting up a shuttle system (or is distance too much of a factor)?

Food for thought.

As a "newbie" of the department you will still be considered
    "just" the grant writer
    until you retire. Good luck with the department.
    Last edited by onebugle; 01-17-2007, 03:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• befferk
    replied
    Originally posted by onebugle View Post
    I'm probably going through a major brain malfunction at the moment.
    ETA? is that 2000 gallons each tanker (4000 total) or 2000 gallons total between the 2 tankers (1000 each)?
    Sorry, ETA=edited to add

I believe he meant 2000 each.

Beth

Leave a comment:

• onebugle
    replied
    I'm probably going through a major brain malfunction at the moment.
    ETA? is that 2000 gallons each tanker (4000 total) or 2000 gallons total between the 2 tankers (1000 each)?

Leave a comment:

• befferk
    replied
    Originally posted by onebugle View Post
    Beth,

How much water does each tanker carry?
    I am very new on the department (previously "just" the grant writer, lol) so I will ask my husband and report back.

Beth

ETA: 2000 gallons
    Last edited by befferk; 01-17-2007, 12:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mfriwmd
    replied
    Setting your priorities

One of the things that they often tell you at the AFG workshops and one of the things that they always tell us as peer reviewers is that is is not as important how you get to the dance but how you look when you get there. You need to make sure that your department members have the PPE and tools to do there job as your highest priority when asking for grant funds. If these needs are satisfied, then you have a stronger justification for apparatus. But there are too many departments out there wearing PPE that was purchased 20 years ago and is hanging on by threads. When you line those up against someone who is asking for a new pumper to replace one only ten years old, guess who gets the money?

Dave

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X