Wiland/Brush Unit help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiland/Brush Unit help!

We have been doing our homework and have researcched the narratives on Brians site also. What we are looking for is to possibly review a copy or copies of any winning narratives for Wildland/Brush units. We have done well in the past being 3/4 with AFG. All those grants were for PPE, SCBA and the equipment that we needed. We are now trying to replace a homemade 1978 dodge that was built to handle our increasing wildland calls. Any and all help would most greatly appreciated. Info or assistance can go to us at [email protected]

westtexas,

I will email you a copy of our successful 2005 narrative for a brush truck tomorrow when I get home from the station. If you want to see a picture, it's at the following post.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=85152

It's a 2007 E-One/Classic Fire F550.
    Last edited by onebugle; 01-08-2007, 07:42 AM. Reason: E-mailed at 0739

Comment

You only get ONE truck thru Fire Grants. EVER. Is a wildland truck really the highest need you will have now or in the future where you will need some outside assistance to make it happen (should be part of your project analysis). The Fed $30-50k today or $150k to fill a need 2yr down the road?

A wildland truck is realitively inexpensive (certainly compared to a pumper) and an area where a properly thought out and constructed homebuilt is entirely acceptable. A pickup being a weak solution to the requirement. Lots of ways to skin the wildland need vs an NFPA pumper.

We constructed our wildland using a DOD/FEPP chassis and tank, used Alum flatbed, DHS $ for radio and lights, and a grant from the Feds thru our state forester for the pump.

www.stanleyiowa.com

Comment

Great point by neiowa.

Comment

Thanks to all that replied. Like I said before, we have done our homework. Our livery consists of a '04 1500/1000 CAFS Engine an '02 2000 gal. tanker, '92 1000/1000 Engine and the 1978 Dodge 4WD homemade brush unit. This unit makes 60-75 wildland runs a years (when it's working) and is our weakest link and biggest need by our evaluation. So, thanks again to all that have helped us out. Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by westtexas View Post
            Thanks to all that replied. Like I said before, we have done our homework. Our livery consists of a '04 1500/1000 CAFS Engine an '02 2000 gal. tanker, '92 1000/1000 Engine and the 1978 Dodge 4WD homemade brush unit. This unit makes 60-75 wildland runs a years (when it's working) and is our weakest link and biggest need by our evaluation. So, thanks again to all that have helped us out. Jeff
            West Texas, your fleets average age is only 16 years old and that won't get you funded. Gotta be 20+ for them to do one for you.
            Kurt Bradley
            Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
            " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

20+ is definitely a good metric, but lots of brush trucks have been replaced with average fleet age in the 10-15 year range. You just have to do more explaining why the rest of the fleet was upgraded recently. Not the majority of awards by any means, but if like you said your assessment points to that as the weakest link and best chance at any funding, might as well take a swing. Worst thing they can say is no.
              Brian P. Vickers
              www.vickersconsultingservices.com
              Emergency Services Consulting
              Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
              Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

As Brian pointed out if a brush truck is your need, go for it. Any thing is possible. Case in point, our 2005 brush truck grant was based on a fleet average age of 11 years with the brush truck being 16 years old.

Comment

Well, I guess I stand corrected. See even the best of us learn in here. Thanks guys.
                  Kurt Bradley
                  Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                  " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse