Help Needed with Tanker Specifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed with Tanker Specifications

We are trying to draw up specification for a tanker that we got a grant this year for. I am having trouble finding some specifications that we can change to suit our needs.

If anyone has a copy of tanker specifications, preferably dry side, that they can email me I would greatly appreciate it. We do need them in digital format. (Word, etc.)

I can send you the what we sent out for "basic requirements" on our pumper/tanker. The actual specs I got I don't have a digital copy of, and it's not a dry-side. I'll offer anything I've got, though. Just drop me an email.

One thing we did was just send out a list of minimal requirements and let the dealers write a spec. We specified the water storage, pump (with top-mount panel), crosslays and discharges, hose storage requirements,etc. It gave some leaway for the manufacturers to work within their parameters and let us look at some different designs. We did note that it was not a final specification, and that changes may be desired before final specs.

When we got the bids, we met with the winner and tweaked the specs how we liked them. I will note, however, that this is the first tanker we've ever had and the only pumper-tanker around, so we were shooting form the hip, so to speak. We knew basically what we wanted and were flexible on some things, but we can't complain one bit on the final product. We also were able to get into a pumper/tanker for the amount of money we were looking at spending on an elliptical. They weren't one of the "big" manufacturers, but like I say, we can't complain with the end product.

Comment

Tanker Specifications

If our pumper/tanker looks of interest, I have the entire specification electronically.

http://www.wildefire.net/cgd_new_del...lle/index.html

In my experience on two trucks, most vendors will pretty much refuse to give the spec. electronically as they don't want you to be able to give it to someone else to bid, since a lot of work goes into preparing it. They will all give you a paper copy and offer to make the updates for you. I told them flat out if I don't get it electronically, I'll be bidding based on someone else's build practices / specifications. They all want their spec to be the template as it gives them a competitive edge. Even then everyone is different when it comes down to nuts & bolts. Be specific on what matters to you & as generic as possible on everything else. Use the spec. of the company you want to order from as the template, some like ALF, some like Pierce, we chose RosenBauer/Central States. You know who you like and who will service you. Specify the big picture generics first, Chassis, Pump, discharges, suctions, aluminum or stainless, compartments, tank size & style, what you want to carry and build it from there. Each vendor will be more or less competitive based on different things. Ex. Freightliner used to own ALF so an Intl. chassis on an ALF probably wasn't happening as competitively as on a Freightliner.

Email me if you want the spec. [email protected]

Comment

Tanker info

Send me an e-mail and I will add my 2 cents worth.

[email protected]

Comment

Tanker Specs.

olneyfd, I would start with how you filled out the grant. Make sure that if you said a 2000 gallon tank, it has a min. of 2000 gallons. After that see out else you can do to stay around the grant amount. You need to make sure that the grant specs are meet. We got our tanker/pumper in 03. We worked with other local departments as well for the set up. Mutal aid stuff,
          need to be able to hook up with out changing fittings all the time. Also with talking to other departments we were able to test drive some. This was a big help in motor sizing. Ask them what they would do different if they were to do it again. If you want drop me a private email and we can get in touch.
          Stay safe.
          mrfd310

Comment

Also with talking to other departments we were able to test drive some. This was a big help in motor sizing. Ask them what they would do different if they were to do it again.
            This is a big thing that I always recommend doing. No matter who spec'd the truck, when it arrives there is always something they'd change, even if it was treated better than their first-born. Until rubber hits the road you never know how that certain HP motor will run with X tranny and Y gear ratio on the rear. The best place to start is the new delivery sections of all of the manufacturers. Find trucks close to what you spec'd in the grant app, and then start making some phone calls. Most dealers can access drawings & specs to any of the deliveries from any other dealer. Then call or email those departments. Most folks like talking about their new toys.
            Brian P. Vickers
            www.vickersconsultingservices.com
            Emergency Services Consulting
            Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
            Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Someone (sorry fellas can't remember which one of you it was) sent me a great worksheet to use. I think I still have it in e-mail format. Forgot what your e-mail was though. Shoot me another e-mail and I'll forward it on. [email protected] Also you might check the fire apparatus portion of the forums for some opinions.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X