Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Timer Help.......please

HI,

I was wondering if someone would please let me know the type of info we are going to need to apply for our first AFG grant coming up, I want to be ready. We are a new company (April 2006) and have never applied before.

What type of question/info do we need to have ready, to help facilitate the process.

I understand we can eitehr apply for a vehicle grant or equipment but not both, right? I am leaning towards the equipment grant and asking for Gear/SCBA/TIC does that sound appropiate or to much? We have some gear but it is older handme-down stuff not compliant and are using older 2.2 scotts currently.

We help your help, any succesful applications or blank ones I could look over would be great.

Please feel free to email me at [email protected] with questions/applications/ideas anything.

Brian -Chief 7

I'm sending some information to ya.

Comment

bferriso1, I would apply for the SCBA'S, TIC, and PPE as well. Might have a better chance than a vehicle. I will note somethings that I have come across
      over the last 5 years and email it to you as well within a couple of days.
      Where are you from. My want to check out some of the seminars that some of the writers have going as well.
      Stay safe.

Comment

Info needed too....

I am somewhat new to this grant process and the person that has been doing our grants seems to direct them towards his choices without the membership having much say.
        1. is it true that you can only apply for 1 afg grant, either a vehicle or equipment, or can you submit grants for both and i assume if you get the vehicle and the equipment you can only take the vehicle.
        2. Any samples for equipment or vehicles (Tanker & Service/Rescue) would be appreciated.

thanks
        [email protected]

Comment

JAD733,

You can apply for one (vehicle or operations), not both. You have to decide through a needs assessment what your priorities are. PPE is the number 1 priority with a 1 in 4 chance of being successful. A vehicle is a 1 in 8 chance of being successful & getting more competitive each year.

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for the few I have gotten and please keep on sending. I need all the help I can to understand and get familiar it.

I am starting on it today.

Stay Safe

Brian

Comment

Brian,
              First, I'm no expert, but have had success in two previous AFG awards, including one for PPE & SCBA in 2006 Round 1 for $105,900.
              First, if you haven't already go to www.firegrantsupport.com and download the 2006 AFG Guidance document...read it, then read it again, and really understand the priorities that are assigned to certain projects. PPE is a real hot-button, and a high priority for the program, as is interoperability, safety, and improvement in service to the public.
              Second, FOCUS on one or two initiatives...it's very tempting to make a long wish list of stuff, but your chances of success are much better if you show that you are focusing on accomplishing an improvement in a specific area of your departments operations or safety, not just willy-nilly listing of stuff.
              Third....research and understand, and be willing to cite specifics in your narrative about your need for what you are asking for...use data, not opinion. And cite specific OSHA, NFPA, etc standards and/or regs you are not able to comply with now, and how your new equipment will help you achieve compliance. Also, be careful about putting together a realistic project budget..make sure you ask for enough money to complete the project!
              Finally....go for it! If you really need new PPE, SCBA, whatever and are passionate, factual, and can show the need...ASK FOR WHAT YOU NEED, you'll never get it if you don't ask!
              I can e-mail you our narrative for PPE & SCBA if you want, send me a note at [email protected]

GOOD LUCK!

Jon

Comment

Thanks

GUys, thanks for the info keep it coming.

Jlam I sent you an email.

I really do thank you for your help, we are a department that was just started in 4-2006, so we need all sorts of help. I fiugred if we hit the Safety issue with Gear ( we have some but nothing up to standered) and SCBA ( have have 2.2 scotts but not upto standered, no pass ect, and the rest of the surrounding aread use 4.5. PLus the TIC, that would be our best best adn the most important safety issues.

We need lots more, like fans, saws, small tools, hose, axes stuff like that was well but didn't want to ask for the world the first time.LOL

I am hoping next yera to try the big vehicle grant in 2008 for a pumper tanker so we will see.

If any departments have anything to spare please let me know at
                [email protected]

Brian
                Chief 7

Comment

We need lots more, like fans, saws, small tools, hose, axes stuff like that was well but didn't want to ask for the world the first time.LOL

Be very careful of the laundry list. Stick to big ticket items that have a common theme. One of the best pieces of advice I got was to appear needy, not greedy.

Whatever you're after, call it a "program": SCBAs and a fill station is respiratory health program, firefighter health and wellness program, etc. The idea is that the deparment has identified the need, is committed to it and started the program but needs big financial help to make it work.

You'll hear the same advice from succesful grant writers: completely understand the AFG Guidance Document and write you grant to meet the intent of the grant. They're explicit in telling you what they want to hear, so honor that. For example the guidance document mentions multiple times that part of this grant is to help departments reach NFPA, OSHA, etc standards, so make sure that you state that that is part of the program's goal. They're gonna hand you a thousands of free dollars if you just do what they say, so write to meet their intent.

Find out what the buzzwords are and write to those: interoperability, regional benefits (you getting new SCBAs will also help neighboring departments with which you have auto and mutual aid departments), long term firefighter health, etc.

Go to the AFG grant workshop near your area, and develop a relationship with your AFG rep. A lot of very useful information is divulged in that three hour workshop, and unlike a lot of federal programs, the AFG grant support is phenomenal. The rep won't write your grant but he or she may be able to guide you in a positive direction.

Beg borrow and steal ideas. When you decide what you're after, get copies of succesful narratives from other departments and understand why they were succesful. One thing that's helped me tremendously is that all the little departments in my county created a grant writers association, and we meet a few times during the open application period. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel if the guy sitting next to you can show you a succesful narrative, or give you some juicy bit of insight.

I also have a succesful SCBA and fill station narrative, a TIC narrative, and a couple others if you'd like to check them out. I'm at [email protected].

Then when you submit your ap, you too can chew your nails and pull your hair out for six to twelve months with the rest of us while we wait to hear the good news. It's like tattoos: painful but kinda addicting.

Comment

The Plan

Hey, no I din't mean we were going for all the in teh grant. I am staying with the PPE, SCBA, TIC in the grant.

The other list was a wish list if anyone/departments had any they would part with do to upgrades or grants they recieved. LOL Just wishing for donations of almost free.

Thanks for all the info, it is truely a learning process.

Brian

Comment

The Plan

Hey, no I din't mean we were going for all the in teh grant. I am staying with the PPE, SCBA, TIC in the grant.

The other list was a wish list if anyone/departments had any they would part with do to upgrades or grants they recieved. LOL Just wishing for donations of almost free.

Brian

Comment

The Plan

Brian

Comment

Brian, make sure that your department has a DUNS #. Its better to be getting things that is needed in the application now before the opening of the grant. The DUNS # can take a while to get.Good luck!!!

Comment

866-705-5711 is D&B's number for grant applicants. With the EIN & dept contact info you can get it right over the phone. Probably not today with the holiday though.
                            Brian P. Vickers
                            www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                            Emergency Services Consulting
                            Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                            Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

I see everyone giving out some help to a fellow brother I was hoping that you could extend another hand. Any help would be apprecaited I am trying to write for some PPE we are a fairly big department I am trying for a second set of gear. We are a combination career/volunteer department. We cover 1200 square miles and have a pouplation over a million during the summer months. Thanks David [email protected]
                              D.NELSON
                              NREMTP,NAEMT, FF2
                              Horry County Fire/Rescue
                              Myrtle Beach, SC.
                              FRATERNAL ORDER OF PARAMEDICS

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse