Tanker narratives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BFD003 View Post
    We are a small rural town of 650. Have a 74 army 5-ton for a tanker. We applied in 2004 and got turned down. Got 1st round award in 2006! The questions for 2006 were very favorable for having an unsafe vehicle that needed replacing. Our unit does not have original seat belts and has a soft top. We are required to get rid of the unit upon delivery of the new unit. We also own a 98 pumper and an 01 quick response/rescue.

This is our 4th AFG out of five years, but first truck grant.

If you can get past the computer questions you are well on your way. We asked for $175,000 - I'm not sure the affect of asking for too much but I think you need to be resonable considering the size of the community and # of responses. We've got a nice 500 gpm/2500gal unit ordered for June delivery.
    Just curious what your call volume is?

Comment

Originally posted by befferk View Post
      As if I'm not busy enough with the 3 grants I am working on now , looking ahead to the '07 AFG, does anyone have any successful Tanker narratives (or any vehicle would help I guess) they would be able to send my way? Having learned a lot from Kurt , I know I have my work cut out for me and can use all the help I can get.

bethkayhart @ hotmail.com

Thanks!
      Beth

Belferk, there a lot of good posts in this thread but I really do not beleive there is a single answer to your question. There are a few good points that I had picked up on in the past years. Now I am not sure whether this is still true or not but if you are applying for an apparratus then your existing app must be more than 20 years old. They had so many applications they had to narrow it down somehow. Do not get rid of your old tanker just yet. If it is non functional and in disrepair then park it out of the way. You will stand a better chance in getting a grant if you have a tanker that is a compelte wreck than you would if you did not have a tanker. I know of a department that needed a tanker really bad. They never had one and they kept getting the DJ. Last year they went and purchased a 25 year old piece of junk for I think $500 and listed that as their primary tanker. They then received the grant for a new tanker. For other types of grants there are many factors that come into play. But as I said earlier, your existing app must be older than 20 years. Well letme rephrase that the lady from FEMA/DHS stated that you must have an existing need for a vehicle (hince already having one) or your existing vehicle must be more than 20 years of age, extreme cases of need can be exempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cappy05 View Post
        Belferk, there a lot of good posts in this thread but I really do not beleive there is a single answer to your question. There are a few good points that I had picked up on in the past years. Now I am not sure whether this is still true or not but if you are applying for an apparratus then your existing app must be more than 20 years old. They had so many applications they had to narrow it down somehow. Do not get rid of your old tanker just yet. If it is non functional and in disrepair then park it out of the way. You will stand a better chance in getting a grant if you have a tanker that is a compelte wreck than you would if you did not have a tanker. I know of a department that needed a tanker really bad. They never had one and they kept getting the DJ. Last year they went and purchased a 25 year old piece of junk for I think $500 and listed that as their primary tanker. They then received the grant for a new tanker. For other types of grants there are many factors that come into play. But as I said earlier, your existing app must be older than 20 years. Well letme rephrase that the lady from FEMA/DHS stated that you must have an existing need for a vehicle (hince already having one) or your existing vehicle must be more than 20 years of age, extreme cases of need can be exempt.
        Thanks, I have gained a lot of knowledge just from this thread. I know we cannot take the chance of getting rid of the tanker we want to replace, our mutual aid takes too long to respond (so spread out) that the structure would surely be gone before they got there. The guys on our department said they couldn't have that on their conscience, not for any price. So I will need to do the best I can. I really appreciate everyone's help. I have been reading and absorbing the information.

Beth

Comment

Well letme rephrase that the lady from FEMA/DHS stated that you must have an existing need for a vehicle (hince already having one) or your existing vehicle must be more than 20 years of age, extreme cases of need can be exempt.
          Remember the DHS folks are going on guidelines, and yes, it states over and over that the grant program is here to 'enhance' and 'support'.

But to be honest on tanker apps I'm close to 50-50 on awards. Half to replace existing tankers, half to ones that didn't have one. Most of the latter had less than 1500 gallons on wheels with small tanker pumpers in the fleet and shuttling water with a 500-750 gallon tank is a pain in the tuckus.

By no means should anyone scrap anything unless it is truly a safety risk at any speed on the road. You should never alter major components of the department's operations just to try to get a grant. That puts everyone in the community including the department at risk on a fireground. Proper driving of emergency vehicles will save more lives than the newest truck with all of the NFPA bells driven stupidly.

That would be Brian the former Training Officer & Captain talking, not the grant guy, but they both agree.

- Brian
          Brian P. Vickers
          www.vickersconsultingservices.com
          Emergency Services Consulting
          Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
          Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
            But to be honest
            BC79er is absolutely correct.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)