Tanker narratives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanker narratives

As if I'm not busy enough with the 3 grants I am working on now , looking ahead to the '07 AFG, does anyone have any successful Tanker narratives (or any vehicle would help I guess) they would be able to send my way? Having learned a lot from Kurt , I know I have my work cut out for me and can use all the help I can get.

bethkayhart @ hotmail.com

Thanks!
    Beth

Tanker Narrative

Befferk, I can email you a copy of my dept.'s tanker narrative from 2004, awarded in Round 9, I believe. I'm happy to say we are no longer in the game for vehicles, so good luck. I wrote this one on my own, prior to getting educated on this forum, so it probably has lots of room for improvement.

Comment

Beth,

I have emailed you a copy of our brush truck narrative (successful '05). Even though its not a tanker there could be areas that could be be beneficial to you. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you both. And Fighting41NY, congrats on doing it on your own. It must have done the trick though! I know I would have flopped if I never had any help learning from this forum and Kurt (we were awarded full turnout and SCBA in '05).

Beth

Comment

If possible could you send the narratives my way also...

[email protected]

Thanks!!
          Marc

Comment

Just sent ours to you, received it first round 2005. Hope it helps!!!!

Comment

Marc,

A copy of our narrative has been emailed to you. Good luck.

Comment

I hate to be one of the "ME TOOs", But could I also get the naratives? Please!!

Thanks
                Mike
                [email protected]

Comment

Mike,

My policy usually is not to fill the requests of the "ME TOO'S", but I'll make an exception in your case...you did say "PLEASE".

Comment

A few posted: www.firegraphics.org
                    Brian P. Vickers
                    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                    Emergency Services Consulting
                    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
                      A few posted: www.firegraphics.org
                      I've been over to check out your site, thanks Brian. One question though, of the ones you have listed are they all ones that have been successful, or is there a way to distinguish?

Thanks,
                      Beth

Comment

As i recall reading at one time, Brian posts both awarded and non-awarded narratives on his site, and purposely does not indicate their award status so that people don't get fixed on a "successful" narrative and ignore the fact that what scores well for one department may not score well for others. Gives us a chance to see a variety of approaches and learn from the elements of the narratives rather than to establish a "cut & paste" approach.

Of course, it's Brian's site and philosophy so he will be able to explain it much better than i can!! Been a while since i've been there, but he may even explain that somewhere on his site now that i think of it.

earl (working from memory again!!)

Comment

Earl is correct (as usual). I've learned just as much if not more from denied applications as I have from approved ones. After all, my rescue truck award that's posted there was one of the worst narratives I have ever written if not the worst. Yet it's the highest dollar amount for a Priority 2 truck ever awarded, and the last heavy rescue awarded by this program according to the DHS folks I have talked to. Most don't expect another one to be awarded. So as Earl alluded to, just because it worked one year for one department doesn't mean it will work in another year for another department.

And, what is good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander. So if narratives are read for how they were put together and what types of information were used, that's a little different. That's why I don't hand out narratives out my workshops either, because what was done before is no indication of what will work this year. Each year is mutually exclusive, so that's why assessments are so important. Proper assessment, proper conclusion on project, that's different than taking someone else's narrative.

Besides, like I teach: if you follow the proper process in assessing the current state of the union, compare & contrast projects, cost-benefits to each, and write it all down, your narrative writes itself.
                          Brian P. Vickers
                          www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                          Emergency Services Consulting
                          Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                          Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Any Narratives for Vehicles

We have been turned down twice for a tanker, we are looking for some examples to help fine tune what we have or take what we have and throw it away and start over again.
                            email to [email protected]

thanks

Comment

Jad733

Jad733, my neighboring dept. got DJ's 2 yrs in a row on a tanker as well.
                              This year they got the computer DJ. They have two tankers, an 87 and an 86, I believe. Definite need, but not big enough compared to all applicants. We are 100% rural and have zero hydrants, so tankers are critical.

How many tankers do you have and what age? Are your DJ's computer or Peer? If you have more then one tanker, or any are newer then 20 years old, from I what I read on here, you may want to change projects.

If you have only 1 piece of junk, I would suggest you send it to the scrap yard just before the 2007 AFG application starts and setup an automatic mutual aid plan. Having no tanker will improve your odds tremendously. None is priority over vehicles of all age and condition. Of course, this is a huge risk and there are a lot of other pieces to the scoring process, but I think # of vehicles and vehicle age are two of the key area's for beating the computer and scoring well at peer. Why keep the truck on life support, pull the plug now and improve your odds on getting a new one in 18 month's. If it is that big of a need for you and you don't get a grant, this truck's death will happen soon enough anyways.

I will send you my narrative, awarded 2004. I am just a rookie in this game, so ask the experts (Kurt, Brian, etc.) to read your stuff and comment.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X