Does anyone know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know

I know a Dept. that receive the SAFER grant for 9 people. They also got an AFG grant last year. They received the items that they asked for but never paid the people. They kept the money in the account to collect interest. It got so bad that the companies had to call Homeland Security to get their money. Now Homeland Security has them under investigation. The question is how they recive can and more money from them until this get this resolved?

Unbelievable what departments will do to try and scam the system. I would venture to guess that it was a timing issue. The SAFER was awarded, before the companies complained about non-payment from the previous AFG grant.

Grants can be awarded even if another is still open. As long as reports (semi-annual) are being filed on time and the close out is not due, there are no red flags for the feds, unless some one complains as in this case. Trying to gain interest by with holding payment gains them nothing. Any interest earned over a certain threshold, must be returned to the feds.

Even though they have been awarded, I would guess that they are not able to request funds at this point until the problem is resolved one way or the other. They should be leary of men carrying silver bracelets.

Comment

I would be the SAFER gets put on hold until they clear up the issue with the AFG.

Their reports should have been due by now, they were awarded on 8/25/2005 for the AFG, 11/26/2006 for the SAFER. Unless they lied on their annual reports saying they had paid everyone then DHS wouldn't have thought anything different until they were contacted by the vendors.

This is the type of crap that puts all departments at risk. The AFG is lumped in with other true pork programs, scrutinized, and some people have to pull this and make it even more difficult to convince Congress that we can play nicely with each other.
      Brian P. Vickers
      www.vickersconsultingservices.com
      Emergency Services Consulting
      Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
      Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse