FP & S has me puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FP & S has me puzzled

I have put together a regional application for FP&S. My question is when filling out the app online, do I use my departments information since it is our name on the application or do I use the region (13 fire departments all together)? There is a huge difference when it comes to the matching funds. My home territory population falls under the 5% match while the region population falls under the 20% match. Any insight would be helpful.

Your department information gets entered, but the match will be 20% because it is a regional effort.
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Brian,

I thought that regional projects were not allowed under the FP&S program?

Comment

Under the PG:

Firefighter Safety: National or regional projects that promote the reduction of
        line of duty deaths (LODD) through National mitigation strategies.
        Training: Local or regional projects to educate or train personnel in the area
        of public education, code enforcement and arson prevention.

The PG also states on several occasions about involving other groups, be they civic or other FDs. The app doesn't allow for a regional marking like they did with AFG for this year, but it's being treated like the old AFG apps where the region was explained in the narrative portion and the total populations calculated for the matching requirements.

The trick would be to find another entity to host that isn't a fire department, such as a county fire marshals office or firefighter's association. They don't have to match projects, just FDs & EMS organizations do. This is why reading the PG closely is important...
        Brian P. Vickers

Comment

I posed the same question last week in regards to FP&S regional projects for clarification. Their answer:

Absolutely, a regional application is eligible for FP&S. One
          organization will need to take the lead and outline the project and
          partners within the application.

Comment

That is what I was hoping

I was hoping to find a different organization to submitt it. I posed it to our county emergency management office and they don't want to get involved. I was thinking about our county chief's association but that might be a little shady as well. Any thoughts?

Comment

As long as they have an EIN they are eligible to apply. I went overboard trying to clarify the fact that only FDs & EMS have to match. Even if the associations host for the sole benefit of the FDs around them, still no matching.
              Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Fire Prevention and Safety Grant

If a fire safety trailer is request in the grant, does the Fire Prevention and Safety Grant allow for a truck to pull the trailer?

Comment

There is a limit of $6000 for a tow vehicle I believe. Brian, Kurt should be able to clarify on this for sure. When I read the guidance, that seems to be the figure that sticks in my mind. I would suggest at minimum a 3/4 ton, we use a dually to pull ours, and still is not easy in some of the wind that we have been having.

Comment

Lime would be correct, $6K limit on a tow vehicle. This is where government surplus and other such outlets are good to check for vehicles. Ain't gotta be pretty, just a good tranny and motor. If you have a Maaco or something in the area always worth hitting up people for donations of paint & body work, or work at cost.
                    Brian P. Vickers

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse