Orlando Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando Conference

Just wondering who all is going to the Grant Conference in Orlando in February.

I am thinking of going

But am not sure yet.

Are they really worthwhile ?

Also, I was wondering, where are these grants going in the future ? Are the amounts going to increase, or are they going to decrease ? or maybe stay st the same level ? I would appreciate any thoughts from anyone out there that has a crystal ball.

Thanks

Comment

IMHO there is a bigger grant world out there than just AFG. We just recieved a grant from our local elec co-op for A/V equipment for training. $2800 isn't a heck of a lot but when the training budget is only $3k it's a huge help to just get materials and teach in-house. There are many more opportunities out there that my dept has taken advantage of rather than just check the AFG site 50x/day. Research...research...research... A few thousand here and there adds up quickly.

Therefore, all the classes i can get are worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by acado64
        But am not sure yet.

Also, I was wondering, where are these grants going in the future ? Are the amounts going to increase, or are they going to decrease ? or maybe stay st the same level ? I would appreciate any thoughts from anyone out there that has a crystal ball.

Thanks
        The more you get educated in the processes, the better the odds. I went to Orlando for one of Kurt's seminars last year--tremendous insight for public safety. He also does a great job in exploring opportunity outside AFG. The training explores the process top to bottom, not just how to write a narrative.

I'm enough of a convert that we are hosting him March 2-3 in LaPorte, (northwest) Indiana. Imafireman has him coming to central PA in late January also. Send an e-mail if you want info on ours--it's in my profile. Lower fees, less exotic destinations--same expertise. Priceless.

earl

Comment

Originally posted by acado64
          But am not sure yet.

Thanks

Well ,I don't have the proverbial crystal ball but let's look at a few things.

AFG is funded by Congress till at least 2010; at what funding level it remains, is still up in the air but, as we have said before, we need to support our lobbying groups and get on the Congressional reps. to "restore" the funding level to what it was supposed to be.

AFG has lost $150 million over the last three years. Will it be there till 2010? Probably. At what funding level? I would still suspect it to hover around the $500 million mark per year without too much danger of going further South.

Several other members, including Greenacres, make interesting points though. If you are strictly looking at AFG, then you are wearing blinders as far as grants go. The Feds give away a total of close to $65 billion a year in grant programs which come from your tax dollars. Corporate and Private Foundations give away another $68 billion per year to various organizations, including public safety entities, so if you are not playing in that ballgame, you are missing the boat here.

Your key move here, as pointed out by many others, is eductaing yourself to these opportunities and maximizing your success at finding, applying and ultimately winning these grant opportunities for your department.

Several of us in here, including Brian and myself, offer educational seminars which accomplish that very thing. Is it worth the time and investment? Listen to the others in here that have attended one of the seminars offered by those of us in here. Their comments speak volumes to the value of a proper education when it comes to understanding the grants ballgame.
          Kurt Bradley
          Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
          " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

To echo Kurt, there is a ton more money that's been around long before AFG and probably will be long after that emergency services can tap into. AFG is one of the larger piggy banks to break open in terms of larger $$ projects with minimal local funding needed. And also it's the most competitive one, so if you can figure it out the rest of the programs come much easier. It's all about how you start going about your applications and projects.

The others that have attended can tell you in an unbiased manner compared to Kurt and I, but same reason we both designed our seminars the way we did is that workshops specific to fire & EMS are going to be more worth your time & financial investment than ones that aren't. If the knowledge being shared is too general and vague then it's hard to bring it home and do something with it. I've been dealing with that in the software industry for 10 years.

Any education beats none is my view. And since this is a game of keeping up with the Jones in terms of knowledge, just look how many other Jones' are getting the education. That's why those of us that teach keep having to learn even more to stay ahead of the rest of you.

- Brian
            Brian P. Vickers
            www.vickersconsultingservices.com
            Emergency Services Consulting
            Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
            Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenacres2 View Post
                The more you get educated in the processes, the better the odds. I went to Orlando for one of Kurt's seminars last year--tremendous insight for public safety. He also does a great job in exploring opportunity outside AFG. The training explores the process top to bottom, not just how to write a narrative.

I'm enough of a convert that we are hosting him March 2-3 in LaPorte, (northwest) Indiana. Imafireman has him coming to central PA in late January also. Send an e-mail if you want info on ours--it's in my profile. Lower fees, less exotic destinations--same expertise. Priceless.

earl
                We are hosting Kurt here in Hawarden, Iowa Feb. 23, 24. Hawarden is on the Iowa/South Dakota border.

You can find the information on the Chief Grants site.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/seminar-depts.asp

Comment

Last Bump...

Anybody else going???

Comment

Originally posted by jdlowndes View Post
                    Last Bump...

Anybody else going???
                    There are quite a few already signed up jdlowndes so you won't be lonely. Still plenty more seats available ( its a big room there). Come one, come all!
                    Kurt Bradley

Comment

I don't get lonely.... I'm just scared of the dark... HAHAHAHA. I am looking forward to my trip to Orlando!! Sure wish i could go to Disney while I'm there but it dosn't look like that will be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jdlowndes View Post
                        I don't get lonely.... I'm just scared of the dark... HAHAHAHA. I am looking forward to my trip to Orlando!! Sure wish i could go to Disney while I'm there but it dosn't look like that will be possible.
                        Maybe not Disney but Howling at the Moon and Margaritaville are right across the street and if last year was any indication of the group in attendance, this year will also be a howling good time as well.
                        Kurt Bradley

Comment

When is the Orlando seminar? Where can I find some info on registration?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hatfam View Post

Thanks
                            Orlando is Feb 6-7. Then Iowa and Las Vegas in late Feb before Kurt heads to Beautiful LaPorte, IN for a session at my department on March 2-3. Info and regristration is here:
                            http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/

earl

Comment

Originally posted by hatfam View Post

Thanks
                              Here yo u go guy: http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/seminars.asp
                              Kurt Bradley

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse