Dear John ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear John ?

Could leaving the additional funding catagory blank as opposed to entering zeros in those collumns cause the computer to fail our app ?
    ?

Did it say that you completed 100% of the document?

Comment

Yes sir it did --- just grasping at straws.
      ?

Comment

Then I don't believe you have any trouble there. Good luck!

Comment

we got the dear john.....request for scba's was rejected. second year in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by ffp8106
            we got the dear john.....request for scba's was rejected. second year in a row.
            I cannot get an email back to your repsonse it is being blocked so call me at 800-992-0272 Ext 1
            Kurt Bradley
            Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
            " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Too late for lucj we got our DJ --- average 11 year old bunker gear--- would have thought we would have at least made the review.
              ?

Comment

Kurt- Do you have any insight

Kurt;

Just curious, do you have any insight as to whether any of the DJ's were from any that made it through the computer scoring? I know those that didn't were the first DJ's to go out, but it would seem they have already developed their list of who is in, who is out, and who is on the bubble. It would make sense that they would notify the rest of their bad fortune, but then again this IS the federal Govt.

We went for SCBA's this year but I haven't heard anything as of yet. No link, no questions, no DJ, so I will assume we are still hanging in there. We were successful the last 3 years running, but before I get flamed, they were all for very small requests that wouldn't add up to many of the single awards. This is the largest request we have made by far. From what I have seen over the past few years, the more you can narrow the scope of your request, the better chances you have. For the most part they would rather award 1000 departments 100 dollars each, than one department at 100,000.00.

For those that got DJ's, keep trying. We were not successful the first year either, but we decided to get serious and attend a couple of grant seminars. You can't imagine how much it helped.
                Joe Fireman

Comment

Just curious, but had anyone else heard that if you have received awards in the past years, that was counted "against" you this year? Maybe trying to get more first time awardees? Just something I heard on another list.

Bruce
                  Bruce Arp
                  2nd Asst. Chief
                  Weston Volunteer Fire & Resuce
                  http://www.westonfire.com

Comment

Based on the 21 awards that my state has recieved that is not holding true. Three are first time winners, the rest have recieved grants in the past.

Comment

Past Awards

Past awards have nothing to do with receiving further awards. This was told during the seminars. Good Luck.

Comment

Partially True

I'm not sure if it is an 'official' position, but I know two departments that were awarded apparatus last year and have already gotten DJ's this year. I looked at their aps and thought they were fairly good. The haven't taken delivery of their new rigs yet, so they didn't get thrown out for having too new equipment. I'm betting there is some scoring criteria for those that have been awarded previously.
                        Joe Fireman

Comment

Prior apps don't mean anything, each year is autonomous.

The only thing prior awards would do is hold up a new award if the prior one wasn't being handled properly, ie progress reports, etc, etc. Extensions due to backorders or delayed deliveries do not count in this sense since it is out of the control of the department.

And since the game changes every year a DJ or award one year for one type of project is no indication of a result in the following year(s). Asking for less money sometimes increases chances, but if you ask for too little then the question (computer calc & Peer) arises of why you can't afford it on your own. The sword has many edges.
                          Brian P. Vickers
                          www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                          Emergency Services Consulting
                          Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                          Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Previous Winnings

Rumor from criteria development is previous winnings may be penalized next time around.

So much for a competitive grant, huh?

Comment

They've been trying that all along, hasn't been more than a rumor. Mainly because if departments that have many high priority needs follow the guidelines to a T then they can only fix one per year. Of course that would mean that everyone follow the guidelines, but most of that fight is getting people to read them in the first place. I know people that have applied all 6 years and still haven't read them. So with the scoring being weighted to award the highest priority requests that closely meet the guidelines, it will all filter down without any changes anyway.

Something like that would turn it into a welfare program, which is not the purpose of grant programs. If welfare is what is wanted, then every department should just get a check from DHS for $2 times each resident in their district. Would save a lot of time and money with applications and support staff. Wouldn't solve any problems either.
                              Brian P. Vickers
                              www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                              Emergency Services Consulting
                              Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                              Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse