Question about 10 Q-s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onehotcowboy
    HHHHHHMMMMM...what does this say.....YES...they were accusing us. I still hope we get it!!! BC79ner, has at least been respectful, and has been very informational. It seems he really understands what I am trying to say or ask. Not afraid to ask questions for what I might hear, but at least be respectful and dont make people sound like dumbasses.I already know Im stupid on alot of this legality stuff...thats why I came here. Not to get the your really are stupid rubbed in my nose. Like come down 400 miles and get proper training...what the hell does that mean??? We dont have qualified people here??? You dont know the whole situation, so dont judge to harshly.

I suspect that it is a communication error. What he was saying is that the PUBLIC or the NEWSPAPER might take it wrong. If you don't call AFG quickly,
    AFG may take it wrong. NO one is saying you are intentionally trying to defraud or abuse the system.

The part about coming down 400 miles for a training class? You are taking
    your information from a "grant writing instructor" who does not appear to have a clue. Someone needs to get that training. I know I sure needed it.

You even admit she may not have known the real deal when you say you "hope" she was right!

You have an invitation to a class taught specifically for the fire service, by a grant writing guru... If I were you, I would jump on it. I know I am going to try to see if I can get an invite.

Tell you what - If I do, and you show up? I will buy you dinner at the place of your choice.....

Comment

And trust me BTW Cowboy, I have to drive probably as much as you if not further to get there, and my department won't be footing the bill - only so much you can do with a $6,500.00 a year budget!

Comment

Ok, we submitted the grant a month before we even got approved from the town. Then we got plans rolling and got one ordered April29th,2006. We took delivery of it in Sept 06. We put down on the grant for a safty issue on getting a new pumper, replacing a 1972 Howe, 750gpm,750 booster. A grant writing instructor told us that we would be ok if we ordered it after the application was sent in. I hope she was right. Thats all I know at this time.
        I'm curious how in the world you got a truck built and delivered in that time frame! I've had our pumper/tanker ordered for a year now and I'm still waiting delivery!

On the other spectrum, I have serious doubts Kurt was claiming you guys were defrauding anyone. You have to admit from the outside looking in, it looks a little on the slick side. I completely understand where you're coming from, approach the town council without a hope in the world and bam, they do the unlikely and allow you to get it ordered. But to be fair, there are departments out there that would do what happened intentionally.

I know a department near me that got awarded a truck for their rural department (technically, they were seperate, but they use the same manpower and equipment in both regards). The next year, they got awarded for the city (it may have been vice versa, but you get the jist). Only problem was, the two departments were joined by voting in a tax district only months before the second truck was awarded. They got dang lucky the called grant support (who subsequently pulled the funding) before ordering the truck and having to repay nearly $200K

LVFD--Geez man, I thought I was in bad shape with $20K!! I need to try to remember to drop you a line and see which grant seminar you're going to, might be the same one I'm looking at. I'm in the same boat, probably have to pay for it myself. But so is the life of a vollie chief!

Comment

LVFD....Thanks for the invite, but I wont be going down. this whole grant thing isnt for me. The other members who wrote it should be doing this, and I will let them know. I am done with this topic. Thanks again
          Live everyday like its your last,for one day...it will be !!!

Comment

HHHHHHMMMMM...what does this say.....YES...they were accusing us. I still hope we get it!!! BC79ner, has at least been respectful, and has been very informational. It seems he really understands what I am trying to say or ask. Not afraid to ask questions for what I might hear, but at least be respectful and dont make people sound like dumbasses.I already know Im stupid on alot of this legality stuff...thats why I came here. Not to get the your really are stupid rubbed in my nose. Like come down 400 miles and get proper training...what the hell does that mean??? We dont have qualified people here??? You dont know the whole situation, so dont judge to harshly.

HHHHHMMMMMHHH! What is says, if you would calm down and read instead of jumping to conclusions is: " If you don't want a bunch of negative publicity , news media and public opinion "spinning" this situation into a " fraud or abuse" case, you had better talk to DHS first and get things square with them. If they give you permission, you guys are OFF THE HOOK. The ball will be in THEIR COURT, NOT YOURS.

The informaton you recived from, let me see, EVERYONE in here was deisgned to keep you guys out of the press and out of handcuffs. That is what you came in here asking, that is what you recieved.

As someone who has been a Public Information Officer and criminal investigator for 25+ years, I can speak from experience that the situation you are in is "ripe" for someone ( read the press and uninfomed public) to "spin" this in the wrong light and you guys, your city and your commissioners end up with egg on your face and an army of Federal auditors and investigators looking at ALL your activities and files form the last 20 years.

Sorry that you "spun" the original comments out of context but, you should use that as an example of just how quickly this thing could blow up in your face. Take it easy guy, no one is bashing you here. You came for advice and got some pretty darned good advice here. Take it and stay out of the headlines!
            Kurt Bradley
            Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
            " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301
              You have an invitation to a class taught specifically for the fire service, by a grant writing guru... If I were you, I would jump on it. I know I am going to try to see if I can get an invite.

Tell you what - If I do, and you show up? I will buy you dinner at the place of your choice.....
              LVFD--You have an open invite, i'll dig up your e-mail address and send a copy of the flyer. Small town, so the dinner choices are few, but i think i can talk my wife into letting me go out for a meal. Maybe you could convince another dept to ride up with you. Shoot, for that matter, bring your wife and we could get a child passenger safety seminar going in the evening!!

hotcowboy--sorry i stepped on your pointed toed boots, but your dept is getting advised by somebody who might very well have given you a $150,000 bum steer. If you want info on the program we are hosting to pass on to the guys who might be interested, give me an e-mail address. Not judging you or your dept. I've got a few issues with your "grant writer", but like you said--i don't know the full story.

earl

Comment

Originally posted by Greenacres2
                LVFD--You have an open invite, i'll dig up your e-mail address and send a copy of the flyer. Small town, so the dinner choices are few, but i think i can talk my wife into letting me go out for a meal. Maybe you could convince another dept to ride up with you. Shoot, for that matter, bring your wife and we could get a child passenger safety seminar going in the evening!!
                I am registered for the Pleasant Township Fire Department seminar.

Comment

2 Q's for the 3 Amigos on the 10Q's

We recieved and replied to the 1199A for a SAFER R & R grant.
                  Also received 11 Q's - sent directly to my email address. 9 of the 11 appear to be standard questions (woudl you accept, do you understand you have to use NFIRS, have you received a AFG grant before, etc).
                  1 - is it normal to recieve question direct?
                  2 - can I send you the 2 q's via Email (with my replies) for guidance? do want to answer them wrong and get us denied

Many thanks!!!!

Comment

Oops

2 - DO NOT want to answer them wrong and get denied

Comment

The Inbox is always open Tony.

And yes, they normally come to the Profile email, not the application Mail Center.
                      Brian P. Vickers
                      www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                      Emergency Services Consulting
                      Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                      Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyg26
                        We recieved and replied to the 1199A for a SAFER R & R grant.
                        Also received 11 Q's - sent directly to my email address. 9 of the 11 appear to be standard questions (woudl you accept, do you understand you have to use NFIRS, have you received a AFG grant before, etc).
                        1 - is it normal to recieve question direct?
                        2 - can I send you the 2 q's via Email (with my replies) for guidance? do want to answer them wrong and get us denied

Many thanks!!!!
                        Give me a shout or email Tony.
                        Kurt Bradley

Comment

Originally posted by k3twpfire
                          I am registered for the Pleasant Township Fire Department seminar.
                          Dang--i just sent you the flyer!! It will be an honor to be in the presence of a two-time SAFER winner. Is Maxwell House coffee okay, or do we need to kick up the fundraising efforts so we can provide Starbucks??

earl

Comment

Originally posted by Greenacres2
                            Dang--i just sent you the flyer!! It will be an honor to be in the presence of a two-time SAFER winner. Is Maxwell House coffee okay, or do we need to kick up the fundraising efforts so we can provide Starbucks??

earl
                            Just make sure it is in expresso grind and in large quantities! LOL!
                            Kurt Bradley

Comment

Wow, take a few days off to help the oldest with his Eagle Scout Project and miss some fireworks.

Onehotcowboy, no one is saying that you folks have done anything wrong. Everyone is trying to give you an informed opinion based on interpretation of the PG or "We've been there, done that. This is the outcome." Your grant application hits upon a huge "gray area" that only can be answered by someone with more authority. Hence the call to your FPS for clarification. Best to get an answer now, than find out later it's a major issue.

So within 2 weeks we decided to act on getting a new truck.Which was in mid-April. We did have to go to our Town to do it, because our Fire Dept is VERY low funded. And let me tell you...it was not easy.
                              I agree with you that it's never easy to get a community to fund large capital projects. Congratulations on proving your case to the Town. I do have one question in regards to that purchase.

Did you inform the Town that you had submitted a grant application for the vehicle you got approved? If not, I wouldn't worry about what the Feds could do to you. Your credibility with the Town could be an issue, which could hamper future funding. People remember if a fast one was pulled on them.

We have been there and done that with a former chief. They don't forget.

Comment

10 q help!

Did I get this right, that the 10q will come direct not through the mail center. The reason I ask is that we received the 1199A notice on our last years 1199A back on 11/14/2006. My concern is that our internet provider has been playing with the security levels and the 10q could have been lost. I know it could be a few weeks between 1199A and the questions, but like everyone ealse I don't want to screw it up.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X