FP&S Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FP&S Question

Just a question for previous awdardees.......Anyone awarded a grant for a Fire Prevention position for the department? The 2005 guidance mentions that a position can be funded but there are no specifics.......Thanks for any help

(9) Personnel Costs: Due to the maintenance of expenditure requirement, personnel
    costs are eligible as long as the personnel costs are "new" to the grantee. What is meant by "new" is that the costs would not be incurred if it not for the grant. For example, in a fire prevention program, the grantee might ask staff or firefighters to work overtime to deliver the program during off-duty hours. In this case, the overtime would not have
    been paid were it not for the fire prevention program. Another example might be hiring
    of a new staff person to deliver the program -- again, were it not for the fire prevention program, the grantee would not have incurred these new costs. We will not fund any existing positions, (i.e., current staff reassigned to the grant).

I don't know that many have applied, or that many have been awarded. It would depend on the project scope whether or not that is a justifiable cost. Someone to handle preplans, inspections, and the like I can see the need in most areas because of the level of work needed to handle these tasks. Someone to keep up with the school visits and stuff, not so much.
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

if awarded a Fire prevention position, what does the grant cover? salary? uniforms? benefits? and how long does the position need to exist?

Comment

Most likely same as SAFER. Salaries and benefits, but I wouldn't bet on a good review if asking for uniforms. The Performance Period is 12 months so you'd have to explain why you need the grant funding for the position for a year, and then that the department will cover the costs after that. I don't see anyone seeing the need for a year's worth of salary if the position goes away, erodes the need argument.
        Brian P. Vickers
        www.vickersconsultingservices.com
        Emergency Services Consulting
        Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
        Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse