What Brand of Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Brand of Equipment

I was just wondering what types of brands of equipment other fire depts. Have purchased with there grants. For example SCBA. Are Scotts or MSA better? or Turn Out Gear what tpes are better. I understand that for grants the prices you put down on your grant is what you have to work with. We are in line at our department for fema grant. I would just like opionions on what brands are better before salesman start calling once are grant comes through.

Originally posted by ford88jarrett
    I was just wondering what types of brands of equipment other fire depts. Have purchased with there grants. For example SCBA. Are Scotts or MSA better? or Turn Out Gear what tpes are better. I understand that for grants the prices you put down on your grant is what you have to work with. We are in line at our department for fema grant. I would just like opionions on what brands are better before salesman start calling once are grant comes through.

Insofar as SCBA, it brings to mind the age old question,
    Ford or Chevy?

What we did, is we got a Scott, MSA, and Draeger airpack, and let
    our firefighters play with each of them. Put them on, take them off,
    wear them, try them out.

Our department picked the Draeger, by unanimous vote. Your mileage
    may vary - we are very happy with the Draeger, but my point is that
    if you have the money, let the firefighters decide - barring any weird
    issues.

Same with the other gear. Not only will you end up with something
    that the majority like, you will have increased moral by letting them take
    part in the decision.

Comment

Interoperability was a huge deciding factor on our purchase. We were looking at the new Scott's, but everyone around us had MSA. We also were currently using MSA, so we already had familiarity of product. I have worn both, at my job as a firefighter, and Scott at my job as a fire service instructor. There are good points and bad points to both. I used to wear draeger, and also liked them very well too. You just have to weigh out your individual situation. And the money available as well. Both brands offered free spare cylinder if we purchased over 12 units ( I think it was 12) but Scott would not offer the bottles with the new packs that have the quick disconnect feature. We also were able to get an extra mask with each pack purchased for our career guys.

Comment

Whew, like everyone's said, lot of factors to weigh. How's your current brand working or holding up? How's your sales & service? What kind of interoperability do you or will you need? What kind of options does each brand bring with regards to what you need? How much are they going to cost? Etc.

Form your equipment committee, narrow the choices down to several (if possible) and get a rep in to show you and let you try the gear and equipment. Don't forget to follow your department's and the Grant's purchasing policies.

By the way, our gear is Veridian. It's okay, it's worked for us, and it's what we went with. Some are happy with it, some are not. Nature of the beast I guess. Our SCBA's are ISI. This was one where there was no discussion. We used ISI and liked them so we stuck with them. A lot of times it's what you're used to. ISI, Scott, Draeger, MSA, whatever, just make sure it will do what you need it to do and make sure you TRY IT before you BUY IT.
        SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
        Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
        I.A.C.O.J.

Comment

And be sure to ask St Louis about Surviveair, AKA Suprise air.....

Comment

Everybody has a favorite, otherwise, there would not be so many manufacturers.

One very important issue is interoperability. Check with neighboring departments, especially the ones you respond with. It is always helpful to stay with the same brand if possible.

If everyone else has old SCBA's, then you can start the trend with a new brand. Like was previously said, try them out. Wear them and just see.

The same with turnout gear. Try it on and wear it around.

One factor to keep in mind is later purchases. If you may be purchasing gear later, when you have new members, then you want to purchase gear now that will be affordable later on.

Also, what about repairs to gear and service to the SCBA's? The worst thing you can do is buy great equipment, then not have any way to service it later on.

Just some factors to consider.

Comment

?????????

What Did You Put In For?
              YOU ONLY NEED TO BE STUPID ONCE TO BE DEAD FOREVER!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X