Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New here

    just found this great website. we are a small department in a town of about 1500 people. we are actually an entity of the town we are in - we use their tax id number, etc. but we are a volunteer fire department.

    what kind of funding are we eligible for? i will read as many of the old posts as i can as soon as i can. i see we are too late for this years big grant, doubt we can pull anything together for the prevention one. but i guess we can start looking at next year

    thanks.

  • #2
    Welcome aboard wolf (as culpster wipes tear from eye). We have drawn in another one... Welcome to the addiction. When you get as bad as the rest of us Wolf, you can visit us on the other post for lost souls...

    Your world is about to be open... Just read, and you will find a wealth of information. We have Assitance to FF grant, SAFER, Fire Prevention and Safety, Walmart, Polaris, CEDAP, and a whole bunch more!!! Hope your fingers are strong, if not, start typing and get them up to speed because you will need to keep up!!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      thanks for the warm welcome. i hope to learn a lot just by reading the old posts on here. sure is a lot of information here. i don't know how other fire departments are set up, if they are independent organizations or what (i've only been on one department, and only for a few years now). as i said before, we are actually part of our town/village, does that still make us eligible for all these grants? we don't even have our own tax id number, we use the town's.

      wolf

      Comment


      • #4
        Wolf, We are the same type of dept. you are just a little smaller. Your dept. is eligible for all the grants Culpster listed and more. Welcome aboard. I didn't know squat about grants until I came here. With the help of Kurt and Brian and many others I have learned alot and you will too.

        Comment


        • #5
          Welcome aboard Wolf. make sure to register on the "i'm totally freaking out..." thread. You don't qualify as an addict yet, but hang around a few $e$$ion$ with us...

          Between the feds and foundations, $130 Billion gets awarded every year. Gets spread pretty thin, but with good intell there's a little for everybody. This is a very helpful group, and you will soon be contribuiting as well as receiving!! Best of luck to you.

          earl

          Comment


          • #6
            Wolf,

            Welcome to the forums. As the others have pointed out this is the place for questions and answers to grants. Take this time to start preparing yourself for next years AFG grant opportunity. Read the Program Guidance (PG) carefully, this is where you will make or break your application. Don't follow the rules=no $$$$$.

            There are plenty of people on this forum that will answer your questions and point you in the right direction, just ask.

            Good luck.

            Comment


            • #7
              Welcome Aboard!! Think Of This AS Wacker Group Therapy!! Just Kidding! With A Little Training, You To Will Be Checking Websites 10-12 Times A Day And Nervously Bite Your Fingernails Awaiting More!!! Enjoy!!!
              YOU ONLY NEED TO BE STUPID ONCE TO BE DEAD FOREVER!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pmed19
                Wolf, We are the same type of dept. you are just a little smaller. Your dept. is eligible for all the grants Culpster listed and more. Welcome aboard. I didn't know squat about grants until I came here. With the help of Kurt and Brian and many others I have learned alot and you will too.

                i guess where is was going with that question is, i did contact our closest walmart last month about the safe neighborhood heroes grant (called something like that) and they said that they don't participate in that. they have their own grant program w/ a limit of $1000 that runs each quarter. but they said as long as we can prove that we are a 501c3 (non-profit) organization we could apply. but since we aren't our own organization and we are under the town's tax information - they aren't non-profit, so therefore we aren't. (they are tax-exempt, but not non-profit). am i thinking correctly on this?

                wolf

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think the Neighborhood heros program is a company wide program, not just a store program, check with Kurt or Brian and they can probably tell you for sure. We have gotten $2500 from them for the past three years. The police have a hit list out on us for taking their money. (Yeah right).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Limeforever
                    I think the Neighborhood heros program is a company wide program, not just a store program, check with Kurt or Brian and they can probably tell you for sure. We have gotten $2500 from them for the past three years. The police have a hit list out on us for taking their money. (Yeah right).
                    well, on the corporate website it says you need to contact your local walmart to apply. this was the response I got when I contacted the grant coordinator when i called ours. they don't participate.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      From what I have learned in talking with the Wal-Mart Foundation people, it woud not be unusual for the store manager or community involvement coordinator to NOT know of this program or to be confusing it with their normal Community Grants program, which every non-profit in that town can apply to.

                      Safe Neighborhood Heroes is STRICTLY limited to public saftey agenices and the application period for it starts in mid February and runs through Oct. You do not have to be a 501c3 for it. If you have a store mamanger who is unfamiliar with the program I would suggest that you print the page driectly from Wal-Marts Company website describing the program and hand it to the manager to edcuate them.

                      Hell, it is not like Wal-Mart does a training program in grants for their store managers. Maybe they truly are unaware and or confusing it. If they say they don't participate I would call Wal-Mart foundation and ask why? You don't want to get "demanding" with these managers, don't bite the hand that may eventually feed you but, if they truly don't know about their own program well, it happens, so give them a break and educate.
                      Kurt Bradley
                      Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                      " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ktb9780
                        From what I have learned in talking with the Wal-Mart Foundation people, it woud not be unusual for the store manager or community involvement coordinator to NOT know of this program or to be confusing it with their normal Community Grants program, which every non-profit in that town can apply to.

                        Safe Neighborhood Heroes is STRICTLY limited to public saftey agenices and the application period for it starts in mid February and runs through Oct. You do not have to be a 501c3 for it. If you have a store mamanger who is unfamiliar with the program I would suggest that you print the page driectly from Wal-Marts Company website describing the program and hand it to the manager to edcuate them.

                        Hell, it is not like Wal-Mart does a training program in grants for their store managers. Maybe they truly are unaware and or confusing it. If they say they don't participate I would call Wal-Mart foundation and ask why? You don't want to get "demanding" with these managers, don't bite the hand that may eventually feed you but, if they truly don't know about their own program well, it happens, so give them a break and educate.
                        thanks. i will contact the walmart headquarters. i will be a little upset if i missed applying for this because of a store manager's not knowing. when i talked to the 'community grants person' they were fully aware of the program, just that they didn't participate. i will contact hq and see what's up with that.
                        thanks

                        wolf

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I didn't know participation was an option, unless it has something to do with nobody applied so they didn't send anything in. I would suspect the latter.
                          Kurt Bradley
                          Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                          " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Welcome aboard wolf

                            Wolf,

                            Welcome to the world of grant writing...My name is chris and I have checked my award 4 times since I started typing....admiting you have an addiction is the 1st step.

                            There is a wealth of knowledge to be obtained here....and all three of the grant guru's(alana, brian, Kurt,) having training classes, and I would recommend that you attend one of them prior to the next grant season.

                            That being said it's not to late for the Fire Prevention grant program under the Assistance to Firefighters Grant (afg) grant program.

                            In order to do that you need to set up an account at

                            www.firegrantsupport.com

                            Then gather a group of your Fire Prevention folks together and talk about your at risk population...kids / seniors / non-english speaking / hearing impaired etc. What ever the greatest demographic group...
                            Where ever you see the greatest risk is the group you aim your educcation program at.

                            Well that should be enough to get you going for the next day or so....

                            Most important step is the one you have already taken...asking for help...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Checked enough without change

                              Alright, I am worn down. No more lurking. I keep checking the apication, the congressmans website, here, there and even asking my dog. No change.

                              Where do we send the money for the group t-shirts and what is our secret handshake?

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X