No announcement yet.

SAFER Round 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I completly agree that EMS should be kept out of the AFG and SAFER program. I am a ff/paramedic that has been a career firefighter for 12 years. I have been an EMT for 17 with the last 12 of those as a paramedic. The county run EMS service applied for a grant for a new ambulance under this years AFG. They make about 13,000 runs per year, and have a staff of 30 to 40. They replace the units they have when they cannot get another mile out of them. They also buy the cheapest units on the market. They said this was easy money and they work harder than the fire departments and should get what they ask for. This is the same service that also brags about having a million dollars in thier savings account. The fire service has traditionally been left out of the funding cycle from the goverment. The police have always led the way in funding, and EMS had a nice chunk of funding in the late 70s-early 80-s. They recoup a large portion of thier cost, and have access to a lot of private grants that fire or law does not. So I have seen both sides of the card. SAFER and AFG should be for fire only. All of the volunteer departments around our city run first response EMS. The county service will not resupply them or even try to help them. Which I know a lot of comes down to politics. But in programs like this politics needs to be kept out of it, but it wll creep in a little anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301
      Well.... I will throw it out there. And yes, I have worked on the EMS side
      before.

Assistance to FIREFIGHTERS grant program. Under that umbrella
      falls the AFG, SAFER, and FP&S.

I personally think EMS should pursue their own grant program, lobby hard,
      and go for it. I will support it.

I don't think though, that EMS should fall under the AFG.

EMS does not fall under the COPS programs, why should they
      fall under the AFG?
      That my friend is something that has been pushed for some time, but unfortunately it got dumped into AFG instead of it's own program. Hopefully with Chief Paulison up there committed to increased funding for EMS we'll get another program going.

Excellent point about 1st responders not being reimbursed raven, we only get reimbursed because we transport also and the pricing reflects that. Not that anyone actually pays....

And also about the squad going after a new box in the program. I wouldn't worry about them getting funded for it, that's a real long shot considering they're only going to give about 25 this year. ($100k average cost, only $2.5 mil available for EMS vehicles.)
      Brian P. Vickers
      www.vickersconsultingservices.com
      Emergency Services Consulting
      Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
      Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

SAFER Round 5 Notices Going Out

The Congressional notices ofr Round 5 of 06 SAFER are out. Calls being made now. I see quite a few R & R mixed in there. Only 19 announced though.
        Kurt Bradley
        Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
        " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse