When and where to start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When and where to start...

When do you apply and where do you go to apply for these AFG/SAFER/etc...grants? I see people talking about logging in to check status and have no idea what you all are talking about.

What are 1199A's?

WE are new to the FIRE grant scene so any help would be appreciated

John

ok, i played around on the FEMA website and got logged in and registered. What the access numbers it asks for? and I clicked on the AFG and it went to another screen where it asks me to search and see if my organization is already registered...it is not, but I can not do anything else in the website.

Comment

TJ,

Here's the website for the AFG programs.

http://firegrantsupport.com

This is the main website for AFG, SAFER and FP&S. It has info on each program, FAQ's, program guidances etc.

Go to "Access E-grant Application" (right side). This is where you can register your department.

Your next opportunity to apply for a grant will be the FP&S. This should be opening up shortly (October).

Read the guidance documents carefully for each program to become familiar with the process. Even though the AFG & SAFER have passed the PG's do not change that much year to year. You want to be prepared when the next application period opens; AFG (March) & SAFER (May/June).

The 1199A is the banking info needed for direct deposit of funds from the feds after a request (if awarded).

Good luck with any programs that you apply for. Remember, you are only a posting away if you have a question or problem. Everyone on this site is here to help out our fellow firefighters with trying to reach that ultimate goal, an award letter.
      Last edited by onebugle; 10-14-2006, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by onebugle
        TJ,

Here's the website for the AFG programs.

http://firegrantsupport.com

This is the main website for AFG, SAFER and FP&S. It has info on each program, FAQ's, program guidances etc.

Go to "Access E-grant Application" (right side). This is where you can register your department.

Your next opportunity to apply for a grant will be the FP&S. This should be opening up shortly (October).

Read the guidance documents carefully for each program to become familiar with the process. Even though the AFG & SAFER have passed the PG's do not change that much year to year. You want to be prepared when the next application period opens; AFG (March) & SAFER (May/June).

The 1199A is the banking info needed for direct deposit of funds from the feds after a request (if awarded).

Good luck with any programs that you apply for. Remember, you are only a posting away if you have a question or problem. Everyone on this site is here to help out our fellow firefighters with trying to reach that ultimate goal, an award letter.

Thanks...I am sure I will be back asking alot of question... D)

John

Comment

Training is important also in this process. If you can, you should attend a grant writing seminar to learn the ropes (one that is more fire related) along with attending the workshops that are put on by AFG in the Spring.

There are 3 people known as the Guru's that will assist and do provide seminars on the AFG.

Brian aka BC79er
          http://www.firegraphics.org

Kurt aka ktb9780
          http://www.chiefgrants.com

Alana aka dixiechicknc
          http://www.yourgrantwriter.com

Comment

John,
            in the beginning, there was the Program Guidance, and the Program Guidance was...wait, that's part of Sunday's sermon!!

onebugle told you straight, that's a great place to start. When you are first starting to look at this, it makes no sense at all--like going to a foreign country and asking where the bathroom is--when you get an answer you still don't know what they said or where to go. If you make time to read though a gazillion of thes posts your learning curve will be much better.

A few folks on here (namely Kurt Bradley--ktb, Brian Vickers--BC79er and Alana--dixiechick) are in the business of helping others with the process. Kurt and Brian (not sure about Alana) do seminars around the country that would be an excellent investment in time and funds. Most state's DHS also do a grant introduction training every few years at least, those are usually free (except for the travel maybe). There's a ton of info on Kurt's web site (chiefgrants.com i think) and Brian's got a lot (is it firegraphics.org?).

Like anything else in life, you'll tend to get back what you put into it. One word of caution, some people find it addicting and begin to over-indulge. There are support groups for us, but they don't seem to be effective.

Welcome aboard!!
            earl (i can quit any time i want!!)

Comment

Originally posted by SharpTJ
              Thanks...I am sure I will be back asking alot of question... D)

John
              Many of us, when we started working with grants, went to the beginning of this forum and just started reading every thread. That way you can see how the AFG has changed over the years, questions others have had, tons of little tips ect..... It really is invaluable training to just start reading the threads.

......except for the threads that ask why Pennsylvainia gets more grants than anyone else

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X