Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curious

has anyone ever gotten the 10's and 1199 and not recieved a grant

Nope. One 1199A went out last year because of a typo by someone at DHS, but it was quickly corrected. No one has gotten the ?s and 1199A and not been awarded.
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er
      Nope. One 1199A went out last year because of a typo by someone at DHS, but it was quickly corrected. No one has gotten the ?s and 1199A and not been awarded.
      Almost correct Brian but, I did have a department last year that got both, even got their name posted on a offcial award list and then was denied. Of course it was due too something AFG found out about just before releasing money that had to to do with an old grant but, that is the ONLY one I was ever aware of.
      Kurt Bradley
      Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
      " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

So in the spirit of the question, there still hasn't been anyone that has gotten an 1199A and the questions and not gotten the award. That dept got the 1199A, got the questions, got the award, and because of something the dept did wrong they got their award revoked. Different animal than not being awarded in the first place as Chief 206 was asking about. Lots of departments have had their awards taken back for numerous reasons. Mainly fraud of varying degrees, but that's nothing new.
        Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er
          So in the spirit of the question, there still hasn't been anyone that has gotten an 1199A and the questions and not gotten the award. That dept got the 1199A, got the questions, got the award, and because of something the dept did wrong they got their award revoked. Different animal than not being awarded in the first place as Chief 206 was asking about. Lots of departments have had their awards taken back for numerous reasons. Mainly fraud of varying degrees, but that's nothing new.
          I guess when you look at it that way, I suppose you are right. LOL!
          Kurt Bradley

Comment

Further proof that perspective is an important factor in writing anything.

This public service message brought to you by your friendly, and local, grant forums gurus.
            Brian P. Vickers

Comment

I have a question! Can we only buy full face shields with our helmets or can we order Bourkes and Goggles. Our local saleman said that they were not NFPA certified so we had to get shields.

Comment

Goggles mounted to the helmet are NFPA as i understand it. Bourkes are not. As one who has had hydraulic oil splatter into my eye with the shield down, i've gone to using goggles. But the safety glasses go on for mva's (and almost any thing else for that matter--i figure i can always take tham off!!) before getting out of my vehicle. Bourkes, when properly mounted, look to me as if they would be a better protection than a 4" shield.
                earl

Comment

I've found Bourkes to be less useful than the full shield myself in terms of protection and pain in the butt factor. Goggles are the way to go.

And Earl is right, Bourkes aren't NFPA compliant, but as long as the cost of buying the helmets, Bourkes & goggles is under what they gave you to spend on a helmet then you can buy them. Last I looked most helmet vendors gave the choice for about the same price.
                  Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Input from a SME

I was just browsing the threads and thought this topic to be of some interest, so I spoke with one of our SMEs and this is the output... Hopefully this clarifies some thoughts...

"According to NFPA 1971, helmets can only be with faceshields or goggles or both, but regardless of the eye protection offered, the helmets can only be worn with the items that have been specifically certified with the helmets. In other words, one cannot use a faceshield or goggles from a different supplier unless that item has been certified with the helmet being used as compliant with NFPA 1971. Typically, only partial faceshields have been certified with helmets, not full faceshields. This is because a full faceshield cannot easily be stowed on the helmet when not being deployed. Conversely, borque eye-shields; a popular smaller faceshield that flips down from the underside of the front brim cannot be certifried to NFPA 1971 because it cannot be meet the area coverage requirements."

-Sindy

Comment

What are the chances??

What are the chances of getting an engine grant this late into the awards???

Comment

Still good till about round three. I bleieve last year 87% if the trucks had been awarded by round 3, correct me if I am wrong here Brian.
                        Kurt Bradley

Comment

praying

I hope you are right, cause that means we will still have a chance.

Comment

Well, Almost noboby gets denied but..........

Last year, a neighboring department of mine got the 10 questions and the 1199A form. They were apparently in line up until 3 days before the award announcments were to go out that week. They received an e-mail from FEMA that no further action would be taken on the application.

After discussion with a senior FPS, it was determined that they fell into a situation where FEMA "overbudgetted" the max. 25% of vehicles. Their application fell into a small number that was withdrawn by FEMA for award due to funds. What a heartbreaker for the department!

Never forget what the questionaire says "we are collecting information for.... and this does not mean an award, only that we are gathering informaton.

It's never over till the "fat lady sings...." and in their case, she lost her voice! ~

By the way, they received a vehicle on 2006 AFG first round! ~

Comment

That's about right Kurt, something like 87% of the trucks were out by Round 3 but then again Round 1 was 2,000 awards. So Round 3 last year went up to about 3,000 awards. All trucks were done by Round 9 last year, save the 2 excess fund ones. So it's half over but not completely over.
                              Brian P. Vickers

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse