confiscated funds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confiscated funds?

Hey, just a curious george question here, what happens to the equipment and apparatus that DHS has removed from firehouses after audits finding improprieties?

Just curious to see if it is sold or given to a grant applicant who wasn't awarded, in that year.

Someone must know, if not the shadow!
    Always confident, ever vigilant.

Originally posted by bukstpsear
    Hey, just a curious george question here, what happens to the equipment and apparatus that DHS has removed from firehouses after audits finding improprieties?

Just curious to see if it is sold or given to a grant applicant who wasn't awarded, in that year.

Someone must know, if not the shadow!
    It was my understanding that it is given to another department.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

It's confiscated. Hence the trailer loads of equipment that FEMA had ready when the hurricanes hit last year. Monies are taken back if they aren't spent already to make excess awards, but the equipment and trucks become government property for disaster preparedness.
      Brian P. Vickers
      www.vickersconsultingservices.com
      Emergency Services Consulting
      Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
      Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er
        It's confiscated. Hence the trailer loads of equipment that FEMA had ready when the hurricanes hit last year. Monies are taken back if they aren't spent already to make excess awards, but the equipment and trucks become government property for disaster preparedness.
        Now if only they would actually use them.
        Fir Na Tine
        Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

An extension on this question...

Does anyone know where I can find documentation of grants revoked or equipment confiscated??

It would be useful in convincing certain municipal officials who believe the feds would never actually take money back or confiscate anything (who also shall remain nameless) they should take NIMS and similar issues seriously...

Comment

No, they don't like to air the dirty laundry. It keeps investigating committees from showing up and putting a hold on the program while they "check things out".

Any FPS will gladly tell you what can and can't be done after awards, as well as what should have been done before an award. Since they are the ones doing audits and will be the ones taking the toys home with them after said audit, might as well take the words right from the gift horse.

Prior to that, take the Program Guidance to the town/city to show them the rules. They are after all Federal Laws, no options on following.
            Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Although I understand the desire to keep things quiet, I also understand that perhaps a little publicity may help things to run a bit more honestly.

It should be available under FOIA however, should one really want the
              information.

Does anyone have any FIRST hand knowledge of equipment being
              seized? FIRST Hand, not I heard.....

Comment

Truck towed away in the Carolinas.

In the New England area a department was told they had 30 seconds to explain why their new SCBA was still in boxes after being delivered 2 months earlier. They managed to satisfy the FPS and got to keep their stuff.

For better or worse I get contacted when this happens sometimes, asking for help in getting the stuff back, so I have a list. And no, I won't share specifics, I'd consider that to be unprofessional. Just trust me, it happens, and people are still looking for loopholes instead of following the rules.

And the more FPS's I talk to, the more departments I find that NEVER READ THE PROGRAM GUIDELINES. That is how they get in trouble. If you overspend, if you bend the rules, you will either be cutting a check back to DHS to cover the mistakes, or lose your stuff.
                Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Truck towed away in the Carolinas.

In the New England area a department was told they had 30 seconds to explain why their new SCBA was still in boxes after being delivered 2 months earlier. They managed to satisfy the FPS and got to keep their stuff.

For better or worse I get contacted when this happens sometimes, asking for help in getting the stuff back, so I have a list. And no, I won't share specifics, I'd consider that to be unprofessional. Just trust me, it happens, and people are still looking for loopholes instead of following the rules.

And the more FPS's I talk to, the more departments I find that NEVER READ THE PROGRAM GUIDELINES. That is how they get in trouble. If you overspend, if you bend the rules, you will either be cutting a check back to DHS to cover the mistakes, or lose your stuff.

And I am not doubting you - I just find it hard to believe that we don't see LOTS of news stories about such things. A truck towed away? You would think that the local newspapers would be all over such a thing. Major ruckus.

Comment

Yes and I too have dealt with these as well and it is not a pretty sight. What's worse is not so much the truck getting towed off but, the blue suits with shiny bracelets that can follow with a Federal Fraud investigation and a jail cell next to the CEO of ENRON!
                    Kurt Bradley

Comment

I'm not so sure that anyone would want to tell the local media that the fire department committed a federal felony be attempted to defraud the government. Not such a good thing to tell the people that you protect that you couldn't spend 20 minutes reading the PG to prevent the issue.
                      Brian P. Vickers

Comment

In the New England area a department was told they had 30 seconds to explain why their new SCBA was still in boxes after being delivered 2 months earlier.
                        If it stays in the box 1) it does not get damaged, 2) does need to be replaced because of (1), 3) they forgot they had a Christmas present.

Comment

I'm not so sure that anyone would want to tell the local media that the fire department committed a federal felony be attempted to defraud the government. Not such a good thing to tell the people that you protect that you couldn't spend 20 minutes reading the PG to prevent the issue.
                          BINGO, give that man a cigar!
                          Kurt Bradley

Comment

Cuban if you have one, of course. Then again, no one in the continental US has any of those...
                            Brian P. Vickers

Comment

This is all a matter of public record, right? Someone with enough time and motivation could file a freedom of information request if all else fails and get the low down.
                              ullrichk
                              a.k.a.
                              perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X