CEDAP III Done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenacres2
    We are shooting for the 5 gas analyzers. With the number of chem plants and highway traffic we have, that package would be a real plus.

I presented the training PowerPoint on the TIC last Monday. Membership was not looking forward to since we had a prior TIC and some of the guys thought it would be a waste of time to train on something so simple. They did seem to receive the program very well though, and have a better grip on how and why these work. In the end, the training went really well and i don't think anybody left feeling like their time was wasted. The PP slides were great to have as a resource. We're starting a Mandatory class next month, and i'm hoping Chief adds a module on TIC so we can go through that again.

earl

Just a word to the wise here but, you should pay attention to what Earl is saying here. I expect that we may see a change in the method that training for this equipment may be conducted in the futre and it would not surprise me at all to see them come out with a PP video slide presentation for most all of this equipment. They will probably expect you to return to your agency in a train-the-trainer mode and conduct a similar type program as a condition of award.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Hey Kurt,
      Train the trainer was the prime focus of the Orlando trip. Main objective was stated as such in their presentation to us. And, at least for the Bullard Thermal Imager, their show was transferrable to us. I only needed to make a copy of the PP, delete the hotel info (bathrooms, etc) and it was ready to go. Our guys beefed a little about having to do a session on something so easy to figure out, but it was cool to see the light bulbs clicking on as they began to think differently or in a new way. And it wasn't because of stellar instruction!!

earl

Comment

Scott,
        I'm thinking it was late May for the main announcement and mid to late June for those of us in the supplemental round. I'll check my file on Monday when i get to the office.

Dwayne,
        Amen to that. Having a chance to meet Mr. Hewitt in Orlando was icing on the cake for that trip.

You guys both get your apps in for this round? It'd be nice to do a reunion trip!!

earl
        We went for the gas powered extrication equipment also. It would have been nice to have a reunion. This would be a great asset to our department.

We also trained on our TIC. My department ws excited because this is our first camera. About a week later we responded to a fire in a central A/C unit that the homeowner had extinguished. We used the camera and fouldwhat we believed to be a hot spot behind the wall. We pulled the paneling out and there was a small area where a stub was hot enough that it would have re-ignited. We left there with a BIG smile on our face.

Comment

Hey Kurt,
          Train the trainer was the prime focus of the Orlando trip. Main objective was stated as such in their presentation to us. And, at least for the Bullard Thermal Imager, their show was transferrable to us. I only needed to make a copy of the PP, delete the hotel info (bathrooms, etc) and it was ready to go. Our guys beefed a little about having to do a session on something so easy to figure out, but it was cool to see the light bulbs clicking on as they began to think differently or in a new way. And it wasn't because of stellar instruction!!

earl

That was kind of my whole point Earl. I predict that some of the "Orlando Sessions" will be axed and end up being a DVD shipped with the item and that training will be left up to the individual department.

One of the things that hit me quite hard, while attending Orlando, was the number of people there and, if you did the math, the enormous cost to the program that this aspect must be incurring. Not being a kill-joy here and I am certainly NOT advocating doing away with this hands on training, as it appears to me to be a much better way of assuring the equipment is used in the manner intended. I only make the statement as an "observation", one that I am sure I am not alone in seeing, that it would not surprise me to see them somehow "cut-back" on the number of people that they actually send to the training sessions and to instead opt for a "training package" to be sent with the equipment , at least for those pieces of equipment which lend themselves to this style of training.

One of the things we need to just watch out for, and something that recipients of the program awards should vocally and in writing be expresssing to the politicos as being an important aspect of this program's success.

Knowing the Feds, they will take a good program and try to cut corners if they think they can, we just need to be wary of attempts to try and dilute the "good side" of this program, which is the hands-on training that it comes with.
          Last edited by ktb9780; 09-25-2006, 08:25 AM.
          Kurt Bradley

Comment

Cedap Hoa ?

Looking for a little info here

I submitted an application and the HOA confirmation email to our board president has not been received. Because we are incorporated we had to fax supporting documents which has been done.

Are there any other ways to confirm HOA knowledge of application other than email?

I may have mistyped his email address but I don't think so. There is apparently no way to go back now and view that piece of information. I certanly don't want to delete the application.

I sent an email to [email protected] as outlined on the help page but have heard nothing.

Thanks

bob
            I got your back

Comment

Originally posted by fyremanbob
              Looking for a little info here

I submitted an application and the HOA confirmation email to our board president has not been received. Because we are incorporated we had to fax supporting documents which has been done.

Are there any other ways to confirm HOA knowledge of application other than email?

I may have mistyped his email address but I don't think so. There is apparently no way to go back now and view that piece of information. I certanly don't want to delete the application.

I sent an email to [email protected] as outlined on the help page but have heard nothing.

Thanks

bob
              Call Sindy Jung at RKB at (703) 641-3714 and ask her to help you out here.
              Kurt Bradley

Comment

Right on the money

Kurt you were right on the money as usual, Sindy was very helpful and the grant info has been confirmed and now has even passed the SAA-Concur status. Does that really mean the state has reviewed and agrees with our assessement and request?? That seemed to happen awfully fast......

Thanks again

bob
                I got your back

Comment

Originally posted by fyremanbob
                  Kurt you were right on the money as usual, Sindy was very helpful and the grant info has been confirmed and now has even passed the SAA-Concur status. Does that really mean the state has reviewed and agrees with our assessement and request?? That seemed to happen awfully fast......

Thanks again

bob
                  The SAAs are also under the gun for deadlines, so they are mvonig fast, Remember they have been reviewing since the very first submit button was pushed. Your welcome I knew Sindy could help you out.
                  Kurt Bradley

Comment

The main reason for a Non-concur is that an applicant is asking for something that doesn't fit the State's strategic plan. In one state of which i have knowledge, there was only one Non-concur last time. And that was because the agency asked for a communications device which the SAA knew they couldn't integrate with anything.

Remember too as you're doing status checks--any application that receives no action from their respective SAA prior 1700 EDT to 10-6 will be deemed to be in Concur status. So...the only stopper at the State level is the Non-concur.

Hey Kurt--What happened to the app counter on the RKB web site? That was pretty cool to know.

RKBManager--any stats coming out after 10-6?? OUt of curiousity, i'd personally like to see some data on apps by state, type of agency (LE, Fire, Haz-mat, etc), and i'm especially curious about the number of apps for each item. Thanks for your efforts!!

earl

Comment

How do you handicap chances of success with CEDAP? Never applied/no prior award. For FD thermal imager.

Comment

CEDAP Shutdown in Progress

Couple of notes. First, we took the counter down because we wanted to give DHS the opportunity to issue some "official" stats after all the steps are finished in the shutdown. More than 6,000 apps have been confirmed out of more than 9,200 created. Of course, we're still accepting confirmations until Thursday the 28th at 1700EDT. It's better to have one official set of numbers come out at the end and not have it in two places - we put the counter up during the application period to encourage people to get their apps in.

One favor. PLEASE don't call Sindy on her direct line. Use 703-641-2078. We're up to our eyeballs in last minute saves, and trying to handle incoming calls in order. I know she probably loves being famous, but humor me and use the main line - I need for her to survive CEDAP 06 and be ready for CEDAP 07!

Best regards to all.

Comment

Originally posted by RKBManager

One favor. PLEASE don't call Sindy on her direct line. Use 703-641-2078. We're up to our eyeballs in last minute saves, and trying to handle incoming calls in order. I know she probably loves being famous, but humor me and use the main line - I need for her to survive CEDAP 06 and be ready for CEDAP 07!

Best regards to all.
                          Mea Culpa Don. I didn't relaize it was a direct line.Sorry!
                          Kurt Bradley

Comment

Wow, first time one of my topics has gone more than a page.... Sorta glad to see that 6000 Dept's needed CEDAP equip, but that also means more competitions. HAHAHA Just kidding. I'm just so glad to have one more thing to check 50 times a day!!!

Thanks for the Update RKB!!!

Maybe i will get to make the trip somewhere to learn about a TIC like some of you did last year.

Comment

You have to give the whole group at RKB a big hand. They are thorough, provide up to date info and go out of their way to solve problems that we may not be aware of.

Recieved a phone message from them today. They have been trying to email me for 5 days with the email coming back with some type of fatal error (I did recieve an email in August from Sindy). Don't know what the problem is (no spam filters), but my internet service is looking into it with RKBs help. Sent them an email with the problem.

Hopefully we'll have a solution Wednesday.

Comment

The Real Reason This Program Needs To Stay!

You know the "domestic terrorism preparedness" side of CEDAP is the principle reason this program exists, as it should be but, the real results of this program are that lives get saved everyday from this program. I recived the following email from one of my clients this AM and I think this speaks volumes for the good that this program is doing across the country.

Had it not been for this program, a life would have been lost. I am sure this is not an isolated incident; it probably occurrs daily across the US but we should not lose sight of the fact that Congressional types may not be aware of just how much good this program does do out here inthe real world on a daily basis.

Keep it up folks. What you do matters, everyday! I am proud to be assisting many of you in accomplsihing these dangerous and lifesaving tasks. You are in an often times thankless profession and hearing that one person say "thank you for saving my son or daughters life", makes it all worthwhile.

Check out this email:

Kurt,
                                I hope you are well. Thought you would be interested in hearing this. We
                                received our new extrication tool system through CEDAP on Sept. 20th,
                                less than 24 hours later we had a severe mva with entrapment. The tools
                                worked great. It was one of the most challenging extrications our
                                department has ever handled. We would have had to call for mutual aid if
                                not for our new Amkus tool. One of our members talked to the flight
                                nurse a few days after the incident and she stated that the patient we
                                extricated was probably minutes away from dying of internal injuries. He
                                was a local boy, they ended up taking out his spleen, but looks like he
                                is going to make a full recovery, minus the spleen. Still have my
                                fingers crossed for AFG, the additional extrication equipment would
                                compliment our new system well.

And that folks, is what it is all about!
                                Kurt Bradley

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse